Monday, January 11, 2010

BRAND NEW McPHEE


free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com




Finally, Katharine McPhee's second album is now out! I've been waiting for this ever since she revealed her new look and new sound last year. She's making a huge statement here and she's really brave to show her range. The McPhee signature is still here but brace yourself for an explosive modification.
The album was released on January 5, 2010 by Verve Forecast Records, her first album on the label. Now let me review track by track:


unbroken1


"IT'S NOT RIGHT"

(Lucie Silvas, Gary Go)


As the intro starts you know right away that it's a brand new sound from her! It is refreshing and definitely gonna make your nerves move. She sounds a little angry here but she remains dulcet most of the time.



"HAD IT ALL"

(Kara DioGuardi, Mitch Allan, David Hodges)

This is the first single. It was astonishing when I first heard this song last year . She also changed her looks in the music video. She's blonde now. I love her brunette hair but I think she's really scorching now. This song is co-written by Kara DioGuardi and it is also one of my favs in the album. This is such a beautiful song. Kat really shines in this track. Her voice is phenomenal on the chorus part

“I had it all I threw it all aside Thinkin' there was more there I needed to find I had it all baby 'Til you went away Blue skies, sunshine and butterflies Those were the conditions that I left behind Why did I let it go to waste I had it all Why did I let it go to waste I had it all

I can relate with it actually.




"KEEP DRIVIN'"

(Katharine McPhee, Chris Tompkins, Rachael Yamagata)

This is smoothest of all the tracks. It's a haunting yet relaxing ballad. It reminds me of a scene from a movie where the girl is driving her car on a dark winding road. It's like a facing your problems too and not giving up. This song is quiet inspirational if you take it seriously. She co-wrote this one too.



"LAST LETTER"
(Barry Dean, Luke Laird, McPhee)

I love the intro coz it's in acoustic guitar. Definitely a new sound again! This is a break-up song actually but it doesn't sound sad at all. A smooth break-up I may say. It's a fine track and you'll love the chorus where she sings

” It makes me happy To use you a little Just to use you a little To write this songIts the very last letter To an old lover To say I'm glad you’re gone"

Ha ha ha! I love it!








"SURRENDER"
(McPhee, Ingrid Michaelson, Marshall Altman)

I dunno but this is my favorite song in the album. This is a powerful ballad. It's aching. Her voice is crying and the melody is heartbreaking. I love how the refrain goes :
And they say that you don’t knowWhat you got till its goneSo I’m holding onto youHow many lives till I get this one rightTill I give up the fight and just surrender, surrenderAnd how many days till I love me the way that you loved meYou love meIngrid Michaelson who co-wrote this song is responsible to some awesome songs we hear in Grey's Anatomy. Her song was used in one episode and it really moved me. This track is bound to make Kat's fans cry at least. I'm still crying honestly eveytime I listen to this track.



"TERRIFIED" (FEAT. JASON REEVES)"

(DioGuardi, Jason Reeves)

If you're familiar with Colbie Caillat's Realize, this one sounds the a little bit the same. You know why? Jason Reeves is responsible for that track and he incorporates some formula from that song. This one is still engaging. Listen to the divine voice of Kat when she sings: And I'm in love and I'm terrified. It's mind blowing!



"HOW"

(Silvas, Mike Busbee, Alexander James)

This one reminds me of the first track “It's Not Right”. They have the same tempo but this one has the unforgettable “hook”. McPhee also shows some range in her voice this time. How she controls the high notes is immaculate.



"SAY GOODBYE"
(Troy Verges, Aimee Mayo, Chris Lindsey, Hillary Lindsey)

Oh my God another sad love song! This one is the saddest track in the album and another fav here. The nostalgia in her voice makes me cry. This is a break-up song and truly lachrymose. Can you take these words?

Did you ever love me? Does it even matter? Did you even notice the whole world shatter? I just want to hold you ‘til you know I’m sorry But I just keep it all inside That way it won’t hurt so much When we say goodbye

I think I experienced this feeling about saying goodbye before. I just love how the piano breaks my heart here.



"FAULTLINE"

(Silvas, Shridhar Solanki, Rachel Thibodeau)

This one doesn't stand out from the rest the first time you listen to it. It won't grow on you instantly but there's something enigmatic about this song.





"ANYBODY'S HEART"
(Dean, Laird, McPhee)

I think this is the simplest track in the album. The intro reminds of Emilia's Big Big World, and they also starts the song with lyrics like :It's a great big world to a scared little girl. I thought they ripped off some parts from it but this one is truly heartfelt. Kat's voice is flawless. It reminds me when she shines so brightly during her performance of Somewhere Over The Rainbow on American Idol.


unbroken3




"LIFETIME"
(Boots Ottestad, McPhee)


This is the only semi-upbeat and it makes me shake my thing. The song is cute! I love her “ah ah ah ah” part. The song is kinda weird but it has the LSS factor to worry. This is also one of my favs from the album. McPhee is a talented songwriter. I love the lyrics.


"UNBROKEN"
(Paula Cole, McPhee)

The last ballad in the album and it's a sure tearjerky too. Also co-written by Kat along with Paula Cole. Wow the woman who brought us I Don't Want To Wait is teaming up with Kat. If you've heard the version of Kat singing ME, no wonder Paula Cole is here helping her. I really want to hear more of Kat singing the sound of Paula Cole.







"BRAND NEW KEY"
(Melanie Safka)

This is the only cover song. I just heard the original from Melanie yesterday and I must say Kat's version rocks! This song just won't get out of my head for days. The chorus part is infectious. Kat is simply playing here. The playfulness of her voice is really palpable when she sings :


Well, I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates You got a brand new key I think that we should get together And try them on to see.
It's just a perfect song to end the album.

After listening to this track, I'm pretty sure you want to listen to it again and again. I love how she orchestrates her voice this time. She's amazing! Another fav track!


THE BONUS TRACKS

TAKES A LOT OF LOVE (Bonus Track)

(Richard Harris)


This song is like a reminiscence of her debut album. I'm OK that they decided to make this song as a bonus track. It's quiet different from the rest in the album. This is so bubbly pop. It is so teen-Disney for me. I really like the tongue twister coda.


HELP ME (Bonus Track)
(Joni Mitchell)


Mandy Moore also has a version of this song in her “Coverage”. McPhee's version shows some range. I love the flute here and other wind instruments as part of the arrangement. This is relaxing. The outro is soothing. Hmmmm.....

unbroken2


Unbroken is much better than her self-titled debut album. McPhee shows that she has grown as a musician since her first album, and proves that she should be remembered not just the runner up of Grandpa Hicks. She is not just a “beautiful face chanteuse” but she's a talented songwriter as well. This album is a must buy for all her fans. They won't be disappointed. This album is highly recommended. I can't skip a single track coz everything is splendid.

LISTEN TO ALL THE TRACKS HERE

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments: