Sunday, March 9, 2008

ONE-WOMAN-SHOW

LA VIE EN ROSE








If you're familiar with the life of Edith Piaf, then don't miss this one.
If you're a huge fan of Marion Cotillard, then don't miss her Oscar winning performance too.
If you're a pocorn flicker, nah... skip this one.

I became excited when Marion won at the Oscars. I haven't seen the film when she won that day so I was really looking forward to catch this on DVD coz I heard that it has been already released. Unfortunately, this film won't be shown on the big screen yet in the Philippines maybe this coming CineEuropa I guess.The other day I went to Qdessy and luckily found a copy.

Photobucket

While I was watching Edith Piaf's bio-film. I just couldn't stop praising Marion's acting. She's really amazing. Hands down!!! What an unforgettable performance in the history of French & Hollywood films!I knew that she couldn't sing. When she is singing in the film, wow she is just marvelous. According to what I've read, Jil Aigrot provides the singing voice. Nice lips sync there Marion!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The only thing worth complaining here is the screenplay and editing, They are fractured from the beginning til the end. There are so many confusing flashbacks. I was perplexed sometimes when new characters suddenly appear in a scene. Like who is he? Where did she come from? What happened? Oh my God I was lost. Since I'm not a francophile, I was reading the subtitles the whole time. Yeah, this is a French film. Oh I really love watching their films.

Photobucket

Marion Cotillard has won four Best Actress Awards for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in La Vie en Rose: -The Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Leading Role, Motion Picture (musical or comedy) -The BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role -The Academy Award (Oscar) for Best Actress in a Leading Role -The César (equivalent to the Oscars in France) Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role
At the Academy Awards, the film also won best Makeup, and at the BAFTAs won Best Makeup and Costume Design. I totally on the make-up. Incredible job from the artists!!!!
La Vie en Rose was nominated for best Foreign Language film at the BAFTAs

I'm not recommending this French f you want to enjoy the film and fall in love with songs unless you're a Piaf fan. I'm only recommending this if you're curious about Marion's acting.
This is a one-woman show from her!!!!


RATING : 3.5 / 5*

No comments: