Monday, September 8, 2008

GET DOWN WITH THE BEEFCAKES

NEVER BACK DOWN

never_back_down

I went to Qdessy the other day to shop for some DVDs that I missed these past few months. A friend of mine from The Archietects is a huge Sean Farris fan and she recommended me to watch “Never Back Down”. I really wanted to watch this film last April but I didn't have much enough time. Luckily, I just bought the DVD and surprisingly this kick boxing film is now my favorite enjoyable film of 2008!!!

photo_01_hires

Jake Tyler gets thrown off his high school football team for brawling, but takes it in stride because he is leaving his school anyway. He and his younger brother Charlie are moving to Orlando, Florida with their widowed mom. At his new school, Jake has a difficult time fitting in but to his surprise he is actually a “You Tube” sensation. Thanks to the students in his erstwhile school for uploading the famous football brawl video. Now everybody adores him but Ryan McCarthy, the richest and most popular guy in that school challenges him to brawl with him. Will he accept the ultimate fight?

photo_02_hires

Never Back Down is the new generation “Karate Kid”. The only difference is that we have beefcakes here and the mentor is a talented actor. The story is kinda predictable but the ride is really enjoyable. Of course, it offers no Oscar-worthy screenplay but the whole film is just amazing. It's my first time that I'm so “kilig to the max” with their cheesy romantic scenes. It's also my second time to cry when our protagonist is being beaten down. What's my first? The Passion of the Christ. Hu hu hu.

The fight scenes are good but sometimes they are just hilarious. I just can't stop from laughing when the people from the audience are filming using their cellphones and upload it later on You Tube. If you love UFC, Muay Thai and Martial Arts, well this film will please your kicking senses. It's not totally violent, in fact it's entertaining. The last fight scene is really the best and ultimate that's why it won in the MTV Movie Award for Best Fight Scene.

photo_04_hires

After watching the film, I'm now a Sean Farris fan. Oh God he is so cute and scrumptious? Ha ha ha! Sean is the young Tom Cruise. He is f***ing handsome and definitely can act! He is so unforgettable here. Too bad he didn't strip totally like what he did in UK Cosmopolitan. Watch out ladies and maybe guys coz Sean has a scorching wholesome personality here. His smile can thaw girls' vajayjay and maybe provoke guys' polished pole. Sean Farris rocks!

sean-faris-flaunt

I must congratulate Djimon Hounsou for an amazing performance as Jake's instructor. He is really good but sad to say he is a shrimp. Please forgive me Djimon. The antagonist is also good looking. Cam Gigandet has a gorgeous 8-pack abs and I really envy him. He reminds me of Hayden Christensen honestly but Cam is a natural actor than Hayden. The leading lady Amber Heard who plays Baja is just OK and yeah she's hot and flirtatious. But I just don't like her at all!

photo_05_hires

The coolest thing in the film is the soundtrack. Non-stop perfect songs for the scenes! It's amazing to hear great tracks from artists like My Chemical Romance, Chamillionaire, Kanye West, The Bravery, Papa Roach, Disturbed, Soulja Boy, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Papa Roach, Flyleaf, Limp Bizkit and some other cool emo bands.

Never Back Down totally rocks! It's the only film this year that I really enjoyed so much. It's also the only film this year that I would be watching over and over and over and over again til December. Because of this film, I almost forgot that I have quandaries right now. Never Back Down is so inspirational and emotional.

Don't miss this one!

RATING : 5 / 5

No comments: