Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A TRADITIONAL GEM

THE ROAD TO EL DORADO

Theroadtoeldorado

I'm still having the so-called LSS of David Archuleta's Crush right now but from time to time his version of When You Believe is also on heavy rotation in my playlist. That song of course is from the OST of “The Prince of Egypt”. I love that first animated film from Dreamworks! Then I immediately realized that I missed one of their traditional animated feature. Of all the four traditional animation from them, I totally ignored “The Road To El Dorado” in 2000. I decided to look for the DVD the other day and luckily I found their lost gem. This animated feature is a surprising brilliant film. It's just sad to know that the world shunned the golden bars of this film 8 years ago. This one is so effulgent!

Road-Eldorado-movie-11

It tells about two con men from Spain named Tulio and Miguel. During a dice game using loaded dice, they win a map that supposedly shows the location of the legendary city of gold in the New World. However, their cheating is discovered and as a result, they end up as stowaways on Cortes' fleet to conquer Mexico. They are discovered and imprisoned, but manage to escape in a boat with the help of Altivo, Cortes' war horse. After a storm and many famished days, they finally reach the shores of the New World. Do you think the city of gold is there? Hmmm....

Road-Eldorado-movie-09 Road-Eldorado-movie-06

The screenplay is well-written with lots of humor and nifty lines. I enjoy everything in the story. It's not boring and it's really side-splitting. The jokes are sometimes intended for adults that's why I loved it so much. When you look at Tulio and Miguel during their skinny dipping scene I thought something like Brokeback. Ha ha ha! Yeah, I think this is so gay or maybe not. It just depends on how you look at the film. Chel, the most flirtatious animated character I've ever seen in a coon's age totally erased my suspicion about “Brokeback El Dorado”. She's so bitchy but I like her so much. But I really think this is so queer. Ha ha ha! There are plethora of “man to man” moments here actually.

Road-Eldorado-movie-08

The animation is stunning from start to finish. It's flawless. The colors are bold and alive. It's totally pleasing to the eyes. It's the same technique they used in “The Prince of Egypt”. The art design is also splendid. The music really rocks the film. What can you expect from the collaboration of Hans Zimmer and John Powell? Of course, a beautiful score so fitting in every scene. I just don't get the songs from Sir Elton John and Tim Rice. I love the songs the minute I hear 'em but they are quiet forgettable after it ends. The songs are so catchy but it will give you an idea about rip-off from their previous work in The Lion King.

Road-Eldorado-movie-05

The voice talents are really smashing. Kenneth Branagh has the lovable voice of all. I love Miguel's character coz of him. Kevin Kline is so serious and he really empowers Tulio's character. It hurts Tulio a bit. Rosie Perez who voiced Chel is perfect for me. Armand Assante who voiced the high priest Tzekel-Kan does a good job as well. The Road to El Dorado is actually a flop film in the US. They did not earn their budget back. It's frustrating to hear this coz this film is really amazing. Please give it a try and I guarantee that you'll be craving for traditional animation again.

Road-Eldorado-movie-01

I'm recommending this film! Treasure this!

RATING : 5 / 5 *

No comments: