Wednesday, April 9, 2008

GIGANTIC LOVE IN THE DEEP


THE WATER HORSE: THE LEGEND OF THE DEEP

Photobucket

Watch the trailer:



I only caught this British film on its trailing week. There was no hype about this film here actually but I read that it received positive reviews in the US. They even called this as “the wondrous film of its kind since Spielberg's E.T.”.I just heard that it was the #1 film here in the Philippines on it's 1st week. That's good!

I'm familiar with some of the actors here especially the lead young actor Alex Etel who plays Angus. He is amazing in the British film “Millions” and I was really excited to see him again in this film.

Photobucket

The first part of the movie was quiet interesting coz the baby water horse named Crusoe which was cared and raised by Angus had some funny scenes. The audience really laughed and enjoyed especially the bath tub part.

Photobucket

The animation of the water horse is actually perfect. He ain't that scary though. The creators made the monster so cuddly and lovable. Not until it became so humongous coz when it's fury it's really scary. Indeed it is the “Monster of Loch Ness”

Photobucket

The story is just fine. It is narrated by an old man whose identity was revealed on the later part. It's quiet predictable but still surprises me a bit. This is an adaptation of the children novel by Dick King-Smith. I don't have the book and I haven't read it yet. Maybe soon.

I think the most striking moment in the film is the journey of Angus and Crusoe on the loch. It's really exhilarating. Stunning visual effects there!

Photobucket

What's amazing about this film is the cinematography. It's really wonderful. I read that the filming took place in Scotland and New Zealand. There are geographical scenes actually which are really identical to some of the lake shots in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban/Goblet of Fire. I just noticed it.

The music is not that remarkable. There was no hook on the original score.

Some supporting performances are commendable. I'm so glad to see the talented Emily Watson as Angus' mon and Ben Chaplin as Lewis the handyman.

This is a perfect family film to enjoy on a weekend.
It's not really a huge film but it has a huge heart.
Maybe you'll cry....

Photobucket

I'm recommending this one!

RATING: 4 / 5 *

No comments: