Monday, February 2, 2009

CATTLE OVER THE RAINBOW

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com photo_22_hires

In 1992, a visionary auteur gave us the stylish “Strictly Ballroom”. Then in 1996, he became poetic with “Romeo+Juliet”. In the new millennium, the best musical film “Moulin Rouge” hypnotized the world. After that, I wondered what's next for Baz Luhrmann? Late last year, my favorite director gave birth to his so called “labor of love, a film he named “Australia”. An epic about love, war, racism and cattle which is sliding on the lofty colors of the rainbow. Did I say cattle???

During the early years of World War Two, Lady Sarah Ashley of England travels to northern Australia to force her husband who is a “Lothario” in her opinion and forced him to sell his unsteady Australian cattle station, Faraway Downs. Unfortunately, her husband is murdered on her way to the place. She reluctantly recruits a hunky cowboy known simply as Drover to help drive 1,500 head of cattle hundreds of miles across country to Darwin where the British Army is looking to buy cattle to help feed the war effort. Also in their quest is a young half-Aboriginal boy Nullah whom she finds captivating and considers him as her own child. She eventually finds happiness in the doughty arms of Drover, and a romance blossoms from out of nowhere while having cattle ranching lessons and enduring a Japanese attack!

photo_26_hires

The film is too lengthy. For 2 hours and 45 minutes, you will experience amazing and crazy things in Australia. The journey is somewhat smooth and rough. It is smooth because the film kicks off hilariously. At first, it is a little confusing to me if it's a comedy epic. I saw the trailer and I find it a bit dramatic. The outset feels weird to me but I enjoyed it. Then the excruciating middle part follows. It feels boring halfway. Some questions will be bugging your head like what is that? Honestly ,what's going on in there? Is that the end? Please let it end because I'm tired already. I still don't know how to describe what I feel during that hour of discombobulation. It looks cloddish watching an epic about rounding up cattle for an hour. Nevertheless, the “land down under” storm is not that horrendous. Somehow, the ending just lifts you up. Something you will remember from time to time. There's a hidden magic in Australia.

photo_25_hires

Baz Luhrmann knows how to make an odd film but this one is just over the top. His style is still indulging and roughly captures the essence of an epic film. He is still my popular auteur but Australia is my least favorite. This is a film about the pulchritude of his beloved country. Indeed, the shots are breathtaking. The cinematography is truly exhilarating. Hands down to the well-researched costume designs but I don't believe that it's super majestic. The musical score is just crazy. I don't buy it. That song from “The Wizard of Oz' called “Over The Rainbow” is audible in the film like forever. The redundancy makes the sentiment of the song feels hilarious and not mellifluous.

photo_17_hires

Nicole Kidman is just enjoying her role. Playing Lady Sarah is not that challenging at all. Hugh Jackman is also enjoying his role. Their chemistry is palpable that's why they look hot on the big screen. Jackman is appealing as a hunky cowboy. You won't see his Wolverine side. I wish I could see the brokeback side. Brandon Walters who plays Nullah ...hmmmm.. what can I say about him? Can I zip my mouth? No comment. I'm just confused if he is a boy or a girl. That's it! The cows in the film are the great performers!!! Especially that stampede scene in the cliff, oh my God!, they are really amazing. Of course, they must be astonishing. Australia is a film about cattle for Darwin's sake! Just kidding.

photo_34_hires

Australia is a good film. It's not a bad film either . It's just not great. Honestly .I'm not recommending it because of the Australian accent. I don't fully understand some of their words. I will rent the DVD soon with the correct subtitles. Yeah, you read it right. Just rent it too in the coming months I don't think I will buy the Orig DVD in the future. Some parts of the film simply doesn't work, but it is an ambitious Australian epic and a truly unforgettable crazy movie experience.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments: