Monday, February 23, 2009

PROJECT ISLA ON THE RUNWAY

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com cs72

I'm not a shopaholic in real life. Gosh, I wish I was the lucky winner of that P324 million jackpot prize last Sunday in Super Lotto and it would make me a super shopaholic. With the glooming economic crisis , this Jerry Bruckheimer produced chick flick about shopping addiction is untimely to watch. But with its talented cast, “Confessions of a Shopaholic” is somehow forgivable. Thanks to Isla Fisher. She is the lady we loved in the “Wedding Crashers” and the mysterious chick in “Definitely, Maybe”. Finally, the world can tell that she is a rising star.

cs4

This is about the confessions of Rebecca Bloomwood , a young journalist in New York City who has an addiction: shopping. One debt collector is tenacious about her growing credit card bills. She lands a job in a financial magazine. It's quiet ironic that she writes about being frugal but in real life she spends a lot. The readers love her column and her boss Luke falls in love with her. But being a shopaholic can make her world go upside down . She must pay her bills!

cs5

This movie has a target audience. Chicks and fashionistas. I'm not one of them but I kinda like this one. I wanted to love this movie but it lacks the oomph. I haven't read the book series so I have no idea if there was an alteration on this adaptation. The flow of the story is fast-paced but it won't make you dizzy. Unfortunately, the movie actually has less shopaholic scenes. I was really looking forward to see her so called addiction. Some sleek fashion spots in The Devil Wears Prada are also present here but they look dowdy sometimes. I still remember that scene from Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep entering the building because it is truly remarkable and fashionable. Regrettably, they have zilch to offer here except colors.

cs3

The love story is flaccid. Is there a chemistry between Rebecca and Luke. Business chemistry yeah! But love ? Nah! Some scenes are quiet funny. I think I heard ladies giggling inside the cinema. I believe that the target audience will appreciate some of it. The good thing about “Confessions of a Shopaholic is its pristine approach. Kids can watch this but I'm just afraid that Rebecca Bloomwood may cast a spell on them and turn them just like like her in the future. Those credit cards are demonic. I wanna freeze my card now in a block of ice.

cs1

Thanks to Isla Fisher!!! Without her the movie is truly a bankruptcy. You know what? She reminds me of Amy Adams, former sexy star Cristina Gonzales and American Idol finalist Tatiana del Toro. Oh yeah, Tatiana can make this movie go crazy! I love Isla during the salsa dance with Luke, the waitress scene, the shopaholic therapy and her walk with the clapping mannequins. It's also nice to see John Goodman and Joan Cusack as her parents. These guys can crack you up. Hugh Dancy has a beautiful British accent but he looks dirty most of the time. He is a good leading man and I think he has a good future in Hollywood. Hugh and Isla look good on the big screen but I still don't buy their forced love story.

cs6

“Confessions of a Shopaholic” has flaws and Bruckheimer must pay for it if he plans to follow a sequel. The movie is still watchable but I'm not really recommending it. If you have extra dough and time, you may watch it for the sake of Isla's talent. Her enchanting comic is such a delight. You will unquestionably love her.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments: