Thursday, June 12, 2008

ANOTHER TWISTED SHYAMALAN HAPPENING!

THE HAPPENING

Photobucket



M.Night Shyamalan is known for his weird twists in his films.
The Happening is really eccentric and let me say “another sign” we've sensed.
I don't know if you'll like or hate his new film but this one really bugged me like hell!

Photobucket

The story started in Central Park, New York when a pandemic from a strange cause is spreading, with victims experiencing loss of speech and physical disorientation, followed by suicide. A science teacher named Elliot Moore played by Mark Wahlberg, runs for his life together with his estranged wife, Alma Moore played by Zooey Deschanel and the 8-year-old daughter of Elliot's best friend, Julian played by John Leguizamo in order to survive.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The film never stops you from thinking on what the hell is going on!!!???? Shyamalan is really effective in scaring the audience. I love the non-stop paranoia he applied here. You'll keep on pondering and reckoning “what is really happening???!!! This is quiet a gory film so you better not be queasy. There are some scenes that really gave me goose bumps. You won't be screaming but your mind will bleed only if you're focused with the “happening”.

Photobucket

Mark Wahlberg carried the film. He is really good.The other supporting actors are also effective.


Photobucket

The story is not really for everybody especially to all popcorn movie lovers. If you're an M.Night fan you will appreciate this. This is his style.The only thing I could grumble is probably the lack of extrapolation. It was explained but just too brief.

Photobucket

The other thing that I was also looking forward in this film is the musical score by James Newton Howard. He scored all Shyamalan's films by the way. He was impressive in M.Night's The Village. He was nominated in that film. He didn't disappoint me in his new project coz his score solidifies the apocalyptic feel of the film. Great job!

Photobucket

I didn't like the cinematography by Tak Fujimoto. It wasn't that good.

SPOILERS BELOW: DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE TWIST!!!!



Honestly, the “M.Night twist” really surprised me like hell. It bugged me after leaving the cinema. He is really weird. But then I suddenly realized that this could be happening soon. This is an environmental scarecrow! Imagine, the plants are the twisted killers here? Yeah, the plants released some unexplained toxins and the wind helped by spreading it to the people causing the deadly outbreak. It's like the red tide in the ocean. This one is happening in the land. I honestly believe that with today's global warming and pollution in the air. Oh my God the twist could be happening soon.
Who knows? After watching the film, I'm really scared touching the plants and the trees right now.
Yeah, it's kinda haywire.



This film is probably a snoozefest to all popcorn flick lovers out there. If you are into these eye-candy visual effects galore flicks then I suggest to stay away and don't watch this. You will hate this!

Photobucket

This film needs thinking. A deep thinking.......
This is just an inconvenient truth we are neglecting. Kudos to M.Night Shyamalan for the weird story.

Remember: this film is not for everyone but I want to recommend this to everyone.
I think Mother Earth is also inviting you to watch this film.

RATING : 4 /5 *

No comments: