Wednesday, June 18, 2008

POWERFUL FLAVORS!!!

The Queen of Angst is back!!! She returns with Flavors of Entanglement!!!!
ALANIS MORISSETE ROCKS!!!!!


Alanis Morissette

Let's talk about the tracks. There are 11 songs to enjoy plus a bonus track.


1 CITIZEN OF THE PLANET – I love how she started the song with some haunting vibe and when she's singing the chorus, whoa!!! the jagged little pill lady is really back!!!! This song is really cool!!!

My fav part from the song :

I come alive and I get giddy I am taken and globally naturalized
I am a citizen of the planet
From simple roots through high vision
I am guarded by the angels
My body guides the direction I go in




2 UNDERNEATH – this is the first single. The first time I hears this there was no hook. But the second time around gosh I fell in love with this. I love the lyrics and of course the melody.
Thi sone reminds me of Hands Clean from her Under Rug Swept CD.

My fav part from the song:
There is no difference in what we're doing in here
That doesn't show up as bigger symptoms out there
So why spend all our time in dressing our bandages
When we've the ultimate key to the cause right here, our underneath

3 STRAITJACKET – I think this song is the angriest in this album. I love it.
It's a crazy song! Crazy crazy crazy!!!!!

my fav part from the song:
This shit’s making me crazy
The way you nullify what’s in my head
You say one thing do another
And argue that’s not what you did
Your way’s making me mental
How you filter as skewed interpret
I swear you won’t be happy til
I am bound in a straight jacket

4 VERSIONS OF VIOLENCE – the beginning is quiet creepy. Alanis did a gothic singing here. This is a gothic song for me. It reminds me of Goin Under from Evanescence.

My fav part in the song:
Coercing or leaving
Shutting down and punishing
Running from rooms, defending
Withholding, justifying

5 NOT AS WE – this track is probably the pop/radio friendly in the album. This is a ballad.
If you're familiar with Alanis' version of My Humps. I thinks she patterned this one from it.
They sound alike especially the intro. It's a beautiful track.

My fav part in the song:
Day one day one start over again
Step one step one
I'm barely making sense for now
I'm faking it I'm pseudo making it
From scratch begin again but this time I as i
And not as we

6 IN PRAISE OF THE VULNERABLE MAN – I must say that this is one of my fav tracks.
I love this song so much!!! I love the melody and I heart the lyrics. Alanis is an excellent songwriter.

My part in the song: ALL OF IT!!!!! Too much hook in here!!!

7 MORATORIUM – this is the intriguing song in the album. I have no idea what is a moratorium. Such a hifalutin word huh? It means delay.
The song is not that radio friendly track but every Alanis fan will like this. She also got the title of her album “Flavor of Entaglement” in this track.

Fav part in the song:
I declare a moratorium on things relationship
I declare a respite from the toils of liaison
I do need a breather from the flavors of entanglement
I declare a full time out from all things commitment.

8 TORCH – from the title it immediately reminds me of Survivor. Torch you know?
Another ballad here and this is one is more heartfelt. I like this.

Fav part in the song:
These are the things that I miss
These are not times for the weak of heart
These are the days of raw despondence
And I never dreamed I would have to lay down my torch for you like this

9 GIGGLE AGAIN FOR NO REASON- this one is electronica inspired just like the songs from Andrea Corr in her debut album 10 Feet High. I don't know but this song is comprable to one of the track in Andrea's album. This sounds like Shame On You but has the Alanis trademark. It's a cool song by the way.

Fav part in the song:
Oh this state of ecstasy
Nothing but road could ever give to me
This liberty wind in my face
And I’m giggling again for no reason

10 TAPES – hmmm...another enigmatic song. Not so memorable and appealing but the chorus is the bomb. It's haunting too.

Fav part in the song:

All these tapes in my head swirl around
Keeping my vibe down
All these thoughts in my head aren't my own
Wreaking havoc


11 INCOMPLETE – this is my fav song in the album. It's cute and has a breezy feel. I love the message of the song too. Actually this one also describes Alanis' life too.
It's a beautiful song. I think this is the next single.

Fav part in the song : ALL OF IT!!!


20/20 (Bonus Track ) - this one is the B-side of her single Underneath. It's a creepy song.
It has the gothic vibe too. I like this one.

Fav part in the song:
This fountain of regret, this looking back with twenty-twenty
Torturous hindsight if i knew then what i know now
This mountain of remorse won’t repeat with my understanding
This wouldn’t have happened if i knew then what i know now

TO RANK THE TRACKS IN THIS ALBUM:
1.Incomplete
2.In Praise of the Vulnerable Man
3.Underneath
4.Citizen of the Planet
5.Straitjacket
6.Not As We
7.20/20
8.Giggle Again For No Reason
9.Tapes
10.Versions of Violence
11.Torch
12.Moratorium


RATING: 4 /5 *

I'm so glad that she's back with a beautiful album! Jagged Little Pill is still the best from her.
I love all of her albums and I must say Flavors of Entanglement is another treaure to keep.
Keep up Alanis! You're are still the Queen of Modern Rock!

No comments: