Sunday, June 29, 2008

RATED A: AMAZINGLY ACCEPTABLE

URDUJA

Photobucket

I was intrigued when I first saw the trailer of Urduja last December 2007. Really? The first full length traditional animated film in the Philippines! I thought it was Ibong Adarna back in MMFF December of 2007 ? Huh?, honestly, it was the first and the WORST!!!! Gosh... see it again if you can find a video and I'm sure you will just shake your head after watching it. It is a waste of time and talent. Anyway, let's talk about Urduja from APT Productions. I watched this film out of sheer curiosity I must say. According to some detractors that this is a rip-off of Disney's Pocahontas. Well, I don't blame them coz there is a 50% similarity between Urduja & Pocahontas. What I also see in Urduja's character is Mulan's reflection. I don't know but the legendary warrior princess from Pangasinan is like a clone of Pocalan (Pocahontas & Mulan).That's just me.

Photobucket

The story of Urduja is straightforward and not confusing. It is polished with today's Pinoy humor. The film is set around pre-Hispanic era and you'll be wonderin' why are they speaking Taglish? I don't hate it at all. For me it's really cute in the script. They're not tryin to have a serious epic film here. I think if they used subtitles then it would bore the kids totally. The humor in the film is just amazing. I was giggling all the time. I enjoyed it.

Urduja

The animation? I'm not an expert when it comes to this stuff. All I can say is that the production is acceptable. Of course, they didn't meet the Hollywood standard on traditional animation but it's worth the try. Some scenes are really surprising.Some color are beautiful too.Sometimes, the facial expressions are lacking. They just missed there.

Photobucket Photobucket

The one thing that shines in Urduja is the voice cast. They are all GOOD! Regine is perfect. She has a strong voice. Cesar Montano is lovable & cool as LimHang. Eddie Garcia is Eddie Garcia. Respectable acting from him. Johnny Delgado as the villain Wang is commendable. Surprisingly, Mayumi voiced by Ruby Rodriguez is a scene stealer. And of course the reason why Urduja is unforgettable: thanks APT for creating our very own Kukut and Tarsir. The dynamic talking rat & tarsier are really fun to watch. Michael V & Allan K are hilarious.

Photobucket

Some songs are notable especially Babae Ako by Ms. Regine Velasquez. It is written by Ogie Alcasid & Joey De Leon. The part in the film where Urduja sings this song is like watching Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas & Reflection from Mulan. Of course, Babae Ako is different. I thought I saw a pilandok there and the scenery is exhilarating. I really love it. I don't get when Cesar Montano's character is singing. It's not needed. There is an intriguing song from Kukut & Tarsir called “Kunlakwentawagnayangsa”. The moment I heard it oh... Hakuna Matata with a Pinoy novelty humor.

Photobucket

I'm cajoling you all to see this movie. You'll be surprised that Filipino artists are really talented. I guarantee you that you'll enjoy Urduja too just like me.

RATING : 3.5 / 5 *

No comments: