Thursday, December 20, 2007

FLAMBOYANT BUT INSIPID

ELIZABETH : THE GOLDEN AGE

Photobucket

I’ve seen the first movie Elizabeth that made Cate Blanchett an international star. Ever since I’ve been following her films. Indian Director Shekhar Kapur also did a brilliant job there.

After 9 years, here comes the sequel. They were reunited. So what happened?

Photobucket

If you are clueless with Queen Elizabeth I & England’s history, well I think you will like this film. But if you are a history buff, prepare your chainsaw and rip the filmmaker’s reel. This is a crud film for you.

Photobucket


Basically, the film just offers a lavish costume drama with some spectacular camera shots. It’s like watching Marie Antoinette again coz the costume designs and wigs are flamboyant.

Photobucket


Yeah, Cate Blanchett is still impeccable with her acting but c’mon Kapur! I thought you were talking bout her Golden Age. According to History, in 1585 Elizabeth is 52 years old. Cate Blanchett looks younger here. The chalk paste make-up is hilarious by the way.

Photobucket


Clive Owen is also here who plays the pirate captain Jack Sparrow. I mean Sir Walter Raleigh. He is too old for this role if you remember your history lesson. Clive is charming though.

Photobucket

I just wanna praise the small role of Samantha Morton as the imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots. I had goose bumps watching that execution scene.

Photobucket

Of course I must not forget the talented Geoffrey Rush as Sir Francis Walsingham who dawdled here.

Photobucket

I was really eager to see the Armada but I was disappointed honestly. It was a horrible battle scene. The director didn’t take it seriously. The scenes are computer-generated but it was insipid.

Photobucket


I can’t say if this film is anti-Catholic or “I so adore my victorious England”!!!!
I don’t know. I’d rather zip my mouth with these religious & patriotic issues.


If you’re planning to watch this film, don’t refresh your memory with Elizabeth’s
history.

RATING : 3 / 5 *




No comments: