Tuesday, December 2, 2008

BARKING AT THE MOON

BOLT

photo_08_hires

Two years ago, Walt Disney released a dog-themed movie called Under Dog. It's a hunky-dory movie but a lackluster in the box office and even shunned by the critics. This summer, Pixar/Walt Disney also unleashed their 9th Wonder called WALL-E I believe it is a strong Oscar contender next year. However, Disney Animation's Bolt is zooming into everyone's heart and spreading a strong-word-of-mouth about the wonders of our cuddly and cute super dog. Wall-E is really great but Bolt is just amazingly heartfelt.

photo_17_hires

Bolt stars in his own high-octane action television series where he is a super dog. The gimmick is, he really thinks he has superpowers. His co-star Penny wants him to be a normal dog her agent doesn't allow it. After filming a cliffhanging episode in which Penny is abducted, Bolt is taken back to his trailer. He still thinks his beloved Penny is in a dicey situation, so he escapes and accidentally winds up in New York City inside a courier package. With the help of an unwilling cat named Mittens and a a haywire Hamster named Rhino and some amusing pigeons, Bolt begins his real-life adventure to rescue Penny in Hollywood. Will he discover that he is just an ordinary dog and that his entire life has been a prevarication?

photo_16_hires

The movie kicks off with the introduction of Bolt in a pet store. My first impression was “Oh what a lovely puppy! I want him now!” Then the next scene shows a beautiful and breathtaking, tongue-in-cheek action sequence from Bolt’s TV show after 5 years. It’s like watching scenes from “The Incredibles” again complete with exciting car chase and helicopter gunships. Amazing way to kick off the film! It's super fun and creates a lot of suspense. The story is well-thought. Pixar's John Lasseter must've done some incredible touch in here. Watching this Disney animated film makes you ponder that “hey isn't this a Pixar film too? Bolt is totally awesome.

photo_05_hires

The animation is pretty comparable to the genuine wonders of Pixar. It's also great. It's almost real. The characters are well-designed. The facial expressions are just splendid especially the puppy Bolt. I wanna buy that pup too. The characters are well-developed. The story is unambiguous. There are no twists and it's really predictable but the poignant attack is unexpected. I couldn't believe that I was egregious from the mid-part til the end. Gosh, my hanky was so wet and I was almost bawling inside the cinema. Bolt's drama has a huge effect on me. Yeah, I terribly missed my defunct dog. That's the reason why I love this super dog.

photo_12_hires

Hats off to John Travolta for a job well done. He has the perfect voice for Bolt. His voice is cool. I'm ambivalent on Miley Cyrus. She does fine but her voice is too raspy. Susie Essman has a great delivery as Mittens. I searched immediately on her filmography coz she is really good and I want to know her more . Mark Walton gives copious of vigor to Rhino. Rhino puts a smirk on my face most of the time.

photo_23_hires

The whole film looks brilliant! I won't be surprised if Bolt vies in the Oscars next year together with Wall-E for Best Animated Feature. I also love the featured song called “Barking At The Moon” by Jenny Lewis. It's a lachrymose one and it gives goose bumps while listening to the message and the endearing performance from Lewis. The next Best Original Song too? I'll bet on it!

Take note that this is not a Pixar film but leaving the cinema feels the same. Bolt is a surprise hit. I truly like the message of the film. “Be Yourself and Believe that You Can Do Anything”. Most of all, the film is deeply heartwarming. Please don't miss Bolt!

RATING: 5 /5 *

No comments: