Sunday, December 14, 2008

THE RECORDED SHOCK

QUARANTINE

hr_Quarantine_Poster

Have your heard about this Spanish film called [REC] ? No? Actually, I read months ago in a forum about this interesting film. I went looking for the DVD but I couldn't find one. I even tried to search in Qdessy for some bootleg copies because I was really curious. Luckily, Hollywood made a remake of it. Just like the virus in “Quarantine”, a strong word of mouth is spreading quickly and I was infected easily. I immediately watched the craze and indeed Jishcand was screaming inside the theater.

photo_14_hires

A television reporter named Angela Vidal and her cameraman Scott are covering a fire fighting team for their show “The Night Shift” on one of their calls which take them to an apartment building where a woman is apparently trapped. But once on the scene, they are themselves trapped inside the building which is quickly quarantined by the authorities when the danger is recognized as coming not from a fire or a malfunction, but a virus which infects the residents, causing them to attack other humans for their flesh.

It's a good thing that I haven't watched the original film [REC] but I'm still looking for the available DVD. Quarantine is really scary and gory. Although the film starts with a lazy atmosphere and it's quiet boring and almost soporific. It's just a nice way to start a non-stop screamfest and bloodfest. The film is really shaky. If you didn't enjoy “The Blair Witch Project” and “Cloverfield” then I suggest to stay away from this film. The only good thing about Quarantine is that the motion sickness effect is quiet tolerable.

photo_18_hires photo_16_hires

The premise of Quarantine is almost comparable to 28 Days/Weeks Later but you won't be seeing zombies here. I can divulge some important details coz I don't want to spoil you guys. It's just shocking to see the “infected victims”. The attacks are marvelous. I was covering my mouth from screaming but my voice was still audible inside the cinema. It doesn't end there. Wait when the movie reaches its climax. Scott's camera using the night vision creeps me out. I was prepared to close my eyes on that particular penthouse scene but it's too quick. I really screamed so loud. Great scene. Excellent direction. Perfect execution from Jennifer Carpenter. I loved her in “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” and she is really believable when she's scared in this film. What a nail biting performance from her! Jay Hernandez is also great in his comfort zone. He is really popular in this genre.

photo_20_hires

Quarantine's make up is awesome. I think the R-13 rating for this film is just apropos coz little kids can't take this film. The bloodsheds and the attacks are just too gory. I'm already 30 but I was screaming like a 12- year -old kid. Believe me. The production design of the apartment is also amazing. The murky rooms are creepy. However, there are things worth complaining here. First is Scott. In times like that he should be thinking about survival but we won't have a film without his camera. Right? It's forgivable. Next is the unexplained infection. But when you read their theatrical poster it's also venial. Last, is the ending. (Spoiler is next ! Don't read the next sentence if you haven't seen the film yet) .............I'm a huge fan of horror movies with at least one survivor in the end. In Quarantine, it's just deplorable that they all died. Even our protagonists are defunct. The last scene also reminds me of Jennifer Love Hewitt's ending scene in I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

photo_15_hires

It's safe to say that Quarantine is worth watching. All horror fans will definitely enjoy this film. This film is not for the squeamish or fainthearted. My next project is to look for [REC]. I searched in youtube about it and I found this one.

Try to watch it and I'm sure you'll be enthusiastic.

In the meantime, don't quarantine yourself in your room and inside your office. Go out and watch this film.

RATING: 4.5 / 5 *

No comments: