Wednesday, January 14, 2009

KINDLING IN THE DARK

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com changeling

After watching Changeling in my fav theater, the feeling was mixed. I was disturbed , impressed and sad. But after passing by a dibidi stall, I nearly floored on the floor because of Manong Dibidi. He offered me a pirated DVD he called “Changgee-leng” and proudly told me that it just opened today in our theaters. Yeah, I heard it that way, he said “Changgee-leng”. When I saw the chinchy cover with wrong spellings and hilarious backcover with images from the film Changeling, I just smiled and told him: “Manong, you may pronounce it as Change – ling. That's the proper way and I've just watched it today. It is one the best drama films of 2008 and more gripping than Jolie's A Mighty Heart”. Then I left telling him “good luck”.

photo_06_hires

This is based on a true story of Christine Collins, a single mother in 1928 ,Los Angeles who works as a telephone operator. When her nine-year-old son Walter goes missing, she is overwrought. Five months later,Christine is told her son has been found alive. A public reunion is organized by police, who believe the positive publicity will negate recent criticism of the department. She finds that the boy they’ve found is not Walter. When Christine tries to confront them with evidence of their mistake, the police chief and captain have her committed to a mental asylum. Despite of it all, she continues to fight and hope that her son is still out there alive.

Honestly, I did not bother to watch the trailer of this film coz I want to be intrigued. Indeed, the first 10 minutes of the film affected me so much. It's deeply intriguing moreover disturbing. Too much pain and suffering is being issued here. I couldn't bear the Collin's nostalgia in the film. Her character is too passive and it makes you adore her. It's just sad that police corruption in the 20's is severe and sad to say it continues in the present. Clint Eastwood's Mystic River is comparable to Changeling but this one is more compelling. The antagonists are so evil and the impetus to smash their heads is really there. That's just me coz I'm so affectionate for a mistreated character like Collins. I must warn for the subtle violence in the film which is surely going to haunt us for years.

photo_30_hires

What's amazing about Changeling is the production design. The sets are really believable. Accomplished with punctilious costume design and hairstyles in the 20's, vintage cars in that era, and of course Jolie's face which is so perfect for the period. The cinematographer does a marvelous job too. I'm still not convinced with Clint Eastwood's dark shots. If you're familiar with his Million Dollar Baby, some shots there are too murky and he still applies that style. The film is directed a bit slow too but it works here. Though his own music in the film is really cool. I love the jazzy feel of the original score.

photo_18_hires

Angelina Jolie's acting is a revelation. I loved her before and this time I love her more. It's not surprising to see her name nominated in different award giving bodies. The Academy snubbed her in A Mighty Heart and it would break me if they will shun her again in Changeling. She is really amazing. John Malkovich acting is still annoying. What's wrong with his acting? I don't get it! I think Jeffrey Donovan who plays the corrupt cop and Jason Butler Harner who portrays the notorious killer are pretty convincing in their despicable roles.

photo_26_hires

Changeling is made to rake awards. I believe that Clint really made my day with his another masterpiece. Did I say masterpiece? Well, it's one of his I think..sort of. I truly recommend this film only for adults. Spare the kids coz it's just distressing.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments: