Friday, January 9, 2009

PUSH THE BUTTON AND BE HYPNOTIZED !

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

photo_63_hires

Finally, the MMFF is over and some Hollywood blockbusters from late 2008 are now running in some of our local theaters. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is not the film that I was looking forward since last year. In fact, I did not have any slightest idea about it. But when I read some hullabaloo about the premise about a man aging backwards I decided to make this film as Jishcand's kick off film for 2009. Watching the life of Benjamin Button inside a cinema is one of the greatest experiences I've ever had in my entire life so far. This film is truly magical.

After World War 1 in New Orleans, a newborn baby with an unusual look is abandoned by his father . The mother died after giving birth to him. This baby is named Benjamin by Queenie, an African-American caretaker of a nursing home who found him at the stairs. Benjamin appears to have been born with a face of an eighty year old man. But as the years go by while everyone is fading and dying, Benjamin is getting younger, aging backwards through time.

photo_50_hires

This is loosely adapted from F. Scott Fitzgerald's short story. The plot of that story is available on line. You may read it if you want. The film's script is totally different from it. This one is too lengthy and some parts are quiet boring. I'm not an expert when it comes to scrutinizing script but all I can say is that the premise is unusual and it totally shocked me. Based on the plot, Benjamin's life is entirely predictable but the progression is somewhat astonishing. You'd expect the next scenes but somehow the daze is still surprising. It's just amazing. I simply love the unique love story of Benjamin and Daisy. Of course, the aging gimmick has a huge impact on me too. Actually, while watching the film, Big Fish came into my mind. But both films are totally different.

photo_20_hires

The film is directed by David Fincher who gave us The Fight Club, Panic Room & Zodiac. Hats off to you man!!! Another stunning film in his filmography! I bet he will be nominated this time. The film is technically superb!!! Fincher's team does a marvelous job. From editing, production design, original score, visual effects, make-up and cinematography. The last two for me are sure shot for the Oscars. Almost every scene is magical with some fabulous set we've never seen before. To simplify, the film is artful. The make up is totally amazing. It's so wonderful to see an old Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. But the most shocking is to see a teenage Brad and Cate too.

photo_41_hires

I think this is Brad Pitt's shining moment. Receiving nominations for his performance here is agreeable. Pitt delivers a marvelous performance. I want him to win for playing Button. I'm also surprised to see Tilda Swinton playing a small role but it's cool. Most of all, if Pitt is shining in the film, then I must say Cate Blanchett is so effulgent. She is now my favorite actress. She can portray every role flawlessly. Because of her, we can feel the nostalgia of the film. Blanchett gives an extraordinary award-winning performance.

photo_48_hires

This film may not cater to the ordinary crowd. The script is kinda gibberish sometimes but don’t worry coz you can blend with the flow. Eat something while watching to avoid the so-called somniferous state if you're not into this loquacious but crafty film. One word to describe the whole film: hypnotizing. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button now holds one spot for Jishcand's Best Picture of 2008.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments: