Wednesday, January 28, 2009

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com bride-wars-movie-poster-1

People were daunting me to watch this bridezilla flick since it opened 3 weeks ago in Metro Manila theaters. I told myself if it's still showing on its 3rd week I will give Bride Wars a chance because I'm a fan of Anne Hathaway even since I knew her in The Princess Diaries. I went inside the cinema expecting nothing and simply thought that “this is just a chick flick” most of the time. You know what? This movie is surprisingly cute. I never thought that a silly idea of a writer turns out to be good enough. I'm not a chick but hey this war is quiet engaging in some ways.

Since childhood, Liv and Emma have dreamed of getting married at New York's historic Plaza Hotel. When both of them get engaged, they book their weddings on different Saturdays in June at the Plaza, only to find out that because of a scheduling gaffe, their happy day will be instead happening at the exact same time. They set out to be each other’s maid of honor, ruling out the possibility of doing a double wedding, both Liv and Emma refuse to change dates, causing a riff in their friendship and ennobling each woman to sabotage the other's hymeneals.

photo_14_hires

Honestly, I'm ambivalent about the script. There are loopholes palpably from the start. A simple mistake from the wedding planner can be resolved so quickly but she just doesn't care. Then, Liv & Emma are lifelong bestfriends, they should've have done something nifty about this predicament. Since their characters are quiet egotistic and persnickety, they have no volition but to declare war. Then I realized, I won't be watching a movie called “Bride Wars” if I won't witness a pettifoggery from them. Right? So instead, I set aside my own problems and focused on the war. The result is imaginably amusing.

photo_10_hires

The funny scenes are supposed to be funny. Is it risible​? For me, yes! It's actually nice watching Liv & Emma doing their own sabotages. This is Bride Wars hello? Expect cat fights and some mean actions. Actually,you won't have a guffaw but these vicious prank scenes are really cute and laughable. This is just me. I find it a bit sexy. Actually, there were ladies inside the cinema who are also enjoying the war. But here's a bad thing, most of the hilarious scenes are already in the trailer. The following scenes also predictable especially the ending. The movie promises a happy conclusion right from the start and it surely fulfills. However, it's just a bit silly.

photo_15_hires

The movie is all about Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson. They are both amazing but Anne for me shines the most. Kate Hudson acts like her mother Goldie Hawn but it's a good thing. I really love her in Almost Famous. I think she should do a film like that again. Hathaway, however, is pleasing even if she's mean. It's actually hard to bet who is your favorite bride here when the war starts. But, based on the looks and hotness, I think Anne Hathaway is the one girl to marry here. I wanna give her a fresh bouquet of flowers for her endearing performance in this movie. I'm really excited now to watch her award winning role in “Rachel Getting Married”. The rest of the cast are forgettable and Candice Bergen is a miscast.

Bride Wars is “not a must see for all” of course. There is a core audience for this movie. Yeah, chicks definitely. If you happen to love 27 Dresses last year, I guess you will enjoy this too. The value of friendship is really consequential and that's the true message of this flick.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments: