Sunday, September 16, 2007

DISQUIETING CATHARSIS

THE BRAVE ONE




“I will be the answer
At the end of the line
I will be there for you
While you take the time
In the burning of uncertainty
I will be your solid ground
I will hold the balance
If you can't look down
Cast me gently
Into morning
For the night has been unkind


Those lines were taken from a haunting song called “Answer” being played in the film “The Brave One” and performed by the beautiful singer/songwriter Sarah Mclachlan. The song is mesmerizing and it defines the emotion of the film. I really love the song so much and I am so glad they used it as the theme song.
LISTEN TO THE SONG

“The Brave One” is a vigilante/crime drama set in the safest but dark city in the world to live(New York) according to our avenging angel named Erica Bain played by award-winning actress Jodie Foster. After her fiancé David is murdered by punks in Central Park, Erica Bain begins to trail for the possible suspects with a view to challenging deadly vengeance. Whilst being pursued by Det. Mercer (Terrence Howard), Bain begins to display precisely the homicidal personality or the other stranger which twisted her life asunder when the life of her fiancé was taken.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This film is really disturbing. If you dislike the idea of violent revenge then don’t watch this. But if you’ll look closer to all revenge movies, I think this film by Neil Jordan is a class act and more arty. Revenge movies are really cool for me. I like the way they picture Erica’s catharsis. Sweet clandestine angst huh?

I think Foster’s noteworthy and compelling performance certain to garner awards attention.

I also adore the murky cinematography of New York as well as the vagaries of editing in the film. Meanwhile, the musical also adds some harsh tones and it’s really perfect during the sinister nights of Erica. Pay attention to the music of revenge. Damn cool!

Even though this film is quiet disturbing and there’s zilch for morality at least it’s not boring.

WATCH THE TRAILER

No comments: