Monday, September 10, 2007

THE GOOD GERMAN

The Lives of Others



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Last February, a film from Germany won as Best Foreign Language Film at the Annual Oscar Awards. “The Lives of Others” beat Mexico’s Pan’s Labyrinth. I really thought that the latter was the frontrunner coz it was the most popular and it received multiple nominations. Surprisingly, the poignant film from Germany won!

I don’t know if this film will be released here in the Philipines on the big screen. My only bet is the CineEuropa soon. Good news coz the DVD is already available in the US. I wanna thank my lover for giving me a copy.

So…deserving as the Oscar winner???? YES! For me, The Lives of Others is one of the greatest films ever made. I truly, madly, deeply love this film!

This picture reminds me of Amelie from France. They both have excellent original screenplay and remarkable photography. I mean stylized look. Have you seen this French film? It is highly recommended!!! Amelie is my all-time Best Foreign Language Film. Still #1 in my heart. I fell in love with Audrey Tautou honestly. ***blush***

There were no bodacious visual effects in The Lives of Others.
Just expect a moving story, great acting & pristine direction.

The Lives of Others takes place in a world of systematic terror and cold paranoia just before the 1989 fall of Berlin Wall. This thriller drama involves the monitoring of the cultural scene of East Berlin by agents of the Stasi, the secret police.

Honestly this film is not for everybody. This is an “art film”.
To all popcorn-flick lovers, you may watch but prepare your pillow.
You may catch 40-winks. I admit that in the first 8 minutes I was perplexed.
“What is this? Should I continue this film?” I was bored. But just wait for at least 10 minutes coz a spine-chilling scene is about to start.

If you are open-minded to loquacious films then don’t miss this.

Actually, the main character Weisler portrayed by the late Ulrich Mühe is hushed. I heard that he died last July 2007 due to stomach cancer. So melancholy... Anyway, in the film he was acting quietly but you can feel his key performance. He was a genius when it comes to functionary mask. His eyes and his lips were so enigmatic. Especially the last scene coz I shed a tear and clapped loudly in my living room. He was a good actor. He won as Best Actor in Germany and some European Film Festivals.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This film teaches us about human faith. By the way, watching the lives of others is sometimes helpful.


WATCH THE TRAILER

No comments: