Saturday, February 23, 2008

BEATLES' UNIVERSE FOREVER

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

Photobucket

Photobucket

We are all familiar with some of the Beatles' songs but to hear them in a stylish and enigmatic way it's just different. That's my initial reaction when I first heard the song “Girl” in the opening scene.

Girl

Jim Sturgess has an amazing voice. His eyes are talking to every song he sings and I really see Paul & John in his character. He is really charismatic despite being a newcomer. There are songs in which he performed in the film that I really burst into tears I love watching “Across The Universe” in the subway, “Something” during her painting session with Lucy and the song they saved for last “ All We Need Is Love.Oh God it's just amazing to hear him rendering an a capella of the song on the first & second verse at the roof top. He made me weep so much. Jim is a promising good actor.
Photobucket

Something



All We Need is Love


I think what's amazing about listening and watching to the Beatles' songs in this film is how they arranged & visualized them. The passion is still there and you can feel the sincerity of the lyrics.

I Want To Hold Your Hand


Just like in the song “I Want To Hold Your Hand”, the original is an upbeat pop while the new version is a sad ballad about lesbianism. It's really cool. TV Carpio who plays Prudence sang this one and she is really awesome! “Hey Jude” also has a remarkable version performed by Joe Anderson. The famous line from the song that goes” na na na na na!! na na na na na!!!! Hey Jude!... is so lachrymose for me.

Hey Jude



Evan Rachel Wood from the movie “Thirteen” and the unforgettable Green Day video “Wake Me Up When September Ends” has some beautiful songs too. She is not a good singer though but you will like her renditions. After listening to her “It Won't Be Long”, I just can't get it outa of my head. That song is infectious.I also like her take of “If I Fell”. She also performed Blackbird later in the film but I think Sarah McLachlan's version featured in “I Am Sam” OST which is also a tribute album to the Beatles is the best so far.
Photobucket

It Wont Be Long

If I Fell




Blackbird


Julie Taymor did a good job directing this film. She directed the Oscar nominated “Frida” by the way. She has ways of hypnotizing the audience with her dreamy scenes. I love the underwater montage in the scene of “Because”.That's my fav highlight in the film.
Photobucket

The story of “Across the Universe is ephemeral but don't worry coz the fresh interpretation of the songs saved it.
This is quiet similar to the “Moulin Rouge” except for the “wow” factor of Baz Luhrmann's film.
I loved all the cameo parts with Bono as a Merry Prankster singing “I Am A Watrus,” Joe Cocker singing “Come Together” and Eddie Izzard performing "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite." “Frida” star Salma Hayek is charming as the Singing Nurse.
The reason why I am mesmerized with this one is because of the cinematography. It reminds me of “Amelie”.No wonder coz Bruno DelBonnes was in charged of the photography.It's daring and brilliant.
Photobucket
Across The Universe is one of the most endearing musical films of our modern generation. I'm sure “all or maybe” some Beatles' fans will love and treasure this one.


Yeah, all we need is love.

RATING : 4.5 /5*

No comments: