Sunday, July 27, 2008

ALL-HEART A$$HOLE

HANCOCK

hancock-poster

I got free passes for this movie that's why I took the advantage. I wasn't really planning to watch this but when I read recently that it already earned $371M worldwide in just 3 weeks. Hey, I think it's time for me to meet this extraordinary superhero named Hancock.

Finally, I have met John Hancock. He lives in Los Angeles. He is always drunk and people are calling him “a$$hole”. Yeah, that's him. He has superhuman powers just like Superman but the only problem is that he is an a$$hole. He is a vigilante superhero but instead of receiving thanks from the people he saves he always get curse and most of the time subpoenas from the city. He causes so much damages from stopping criminals.

photo_03_hires

The first half of the film is very hilarious and superior. Yeah, Hancock is “a pain the ass” like Lindsay, Paris & Britney but you would still love him and them( the 3 party girls). Will Smith totally nailed a wonderful performance. Honestly, I can't stand this actor but after watching The Pursuit of Happyness I changed my mind. Smith is the perfect Hancock. I like his character coz sometimes I'm also an a$$hole. Just kidding!

photo_06_hires

The 3 leads I must say are very interesting. Jason Bateman who plays Ray who was saved by Hancock from a train collision is captivating as Hancock's advisor. He wanted to change Hancock's image. I'm not even familiar with Bateman but I think I will check his previous movies now. He is a fine actor. Charlize Theron is astonishing as Mary. She plays Ray's wife. In the first half, the director's style of showing close-up with her in her watery eyes suddenly gives the audience a clue. Actually, I predicted for a twist to come. Indeed, Theron's character is the one to watch out for. It shocked me a little but I expected it anyway. This film needs a real shocker. I'm glad they have one.

photo_11_hires

The visual effects of the film are really mesmerizing. All 'viseff-lovers” will love those scenes. They are breathtaking and very much gratifying.

You know what? I cried here. The drama really touched my heart. I didn't expect to shed tears after laughing to numerous scenes. Maybe because the music is really good. I love the original score. It is moving and congruous to the highlights. I really waited for the end credits and I was surprised that John Powell penned the music. He is really talented.


I am familiar with Peter Berg's projects and I'm very sure that this is the first time that he directed a film with enormous support from visual effects. His style is still there but the only problem is that he was lost after the first half. The second half of the film kills me after that “surprise twist”. I don't know but I didn't like it. It fells like it was rushed and it looks stupid. That's just me.

photo_08_hires

Still, the film manages to be coherent at the end. Hancock is an enjoyable film. Just sit back and relax coz there is a change for everything. This is not your typical superhero film. Maybe, this will surprise you. This film has a heart.

To all “loners” out there like me: THIS IS OUR MOVIE!!!!

Fly with Hancock now!

RATING : 4 / 5 *

No comments: