Thursday, July 24, 2008

A SCENTED MURDER

PERFUME: THE STORY OF A MURDERER

406px-Perfume_poster

This film really intrigued me coz it already earned $100M in Europe alone. That's enormous you know. I didn't even know that popular actors are also in this film. I think I really missed a lot. Such a shame for a movie buff like me. Anyway, the DVD is out and I finally got a spray from a bloody perfume.

“Perfume” is a film adaptation of Patrick Süskind's best-selling 1985 novel of the same title. But I haven't read it so let's skip it. This is directed by Tom Tykwer who really gave a solid direction. I like his work on Run Lola Run. He is really amazing and I love his masterpiece.

The best thing about watching this film is that you want to smell it. Yeah, your nose is wanting for the scent too. We can see the beauty and hear the awesome sound but the scent is really inviting. This is really beautiful from start to finish. The script is fascinating even if our lead character who has a strong sense of smell doesn't speak that much.
Ben Whishaw simply gives a impeccable performance .

Why I really love this? The style is original and really unique. The murders are really disturbing but in the same time you'll appreciate the dark mood. Weird huh?

photo_16_hires

How did he murder the 13 beautiful and virginal young women? I won't spill any details but all Jean-Baptiste Grenouille (our main character )really wanted is the invigorating scent of these women. It' s really perturbing when you see him doing the act.

photo_12_hires

Great cast I must say. I didn't expect Dustin Hoffman to be here. At first I didn't recognize him as Baldini the Italian perfumer. He is just a cameo here. Alan Rickman also gave a strong performance as a father to a very surprising Rachel Hurd-Wood. Yeah, she is here as the object of affection of Grenouille. Rachel is pleasing coz she's now a lady. I first saw her as this beautiful young girl in Peter Pan.. Remember her now? Yeah, she's the cute Wendy. I've got a crush on her right now.

photo_10_hires

If the murders are disturbing then watch out for the great ORGY! OMG! I was shocked to see that scene! It's really unbelievable but it's really there. Great direction! Great execution from hundreds of extras. I can't still get over it. Hundreds of naked bodies having lavish sex in the plaza is indescribable.

photo_03_hires

The filthy cinematography in the film looks great too. The dark musical score is quiet good but there's no hook for me.

photo_17_hires

I hope you'll have time to try this amazing perfumed film. It's really great watching this applaudable masterpiece.

Highly Recommended

RATING: 5 / 5*

No comments: