Sunday, July 13, 2008

THANK ABBA FOR THE MUSIC !

MAMMA MIA

Mamma Mia Movie Poster


Before watching this anticipated musical I was already singing “Mamma Mia” on my way to the theater. I was so enthusiastic about this film ever since I saw the teaser last year. The great part is that this film will be shown in the US next week. We are one week ahead from them!!!! But the Greeks are just lucky coz it was released there last July 3. Thank ABBA for the music!!!

The film started with Sophie with a promising song called “I Have A Dream”. Amanda Seyfried who is playing Sophie in the film fits perfectly in her role. She just blooms in the movie. I remember her in Mean Girls. Yeah, she’s one of them. Her eyes are expressive and she’s beautiful to me.

What can I say after hearing “I Have A Dream”? Gimme Gimme More of ABBA songs! I love this group. I grew up with their amazing songs. Their songs are priceless and irresistible.
photo_43_hires

Hearing great songs from ABBA scene after scene makes me want to dance inside the theater. I just couldn’t resist shaking my booty when I heard “Honey Honey” first. Then it was followed with Mamma Meryl’s Money Money Money. OMG. I can smell another Oscar nod for her again. Ms. Streep is not just great she’s marvelous. Watch out for her in the wonderfully choreographed “Dancing Queen”. Amazing!
photo_01_hires
Colin Firth gave me goose bumps when he sang “Our Last Summer”. His voice is just so cool for the summer. Watch out for his character! Probably the surprising twist in the film!
photo_40_hires

You wanna ogle for some sexiness??? Hunks Hunks Hunks are giving extra heat for the summer in the song “Lay All Your Love On Me”. Gosh I was surprised to see Dominic Cooper here so scorching in the big screen again. He can even sing! I like him in The History Boys. You should watch that film too.

photo_30_hires
Prepare to laugh when you hear the sad song Chiquitita. I was laughing so loud!!! I must say that Julie Walters and Christine Baranski deserve to be nominated next year for their awesome roles here. They just added some spice in the film. It’s really great to see them here.Christine is fabulous in the song “Does Your Mother Know” while Ms Walters is very hilarious in “Take A Chance On Me”.
photo_26_hires
The song that shocked me to hear is SOS. Pierce Brosnan made me cry here. He did well and he simply enjoys his take on the music. He made the song his own and I really wish that he is Sophie’s dad. He is also soulful in the song “ When All Is Said and Done".
photo_05_hires
By the way, I won’t even tell who Sophie’s dad is. That’s the best part in the film. You should solve it too. I bet you couldn’t coz the songs are really thawing your heart .I started to weep during the mother & daughter scene before the wedding. “Slipping Through My Fingers’ is truly a sad song in that scene.
photo_34_hires
What’s also amazing in the film is the bright sunny cinematography. I love it. It’s tempting to have a vacation in that island too. I just love the camera movement in the scene where Ms. Streep is singing “The Winner Takes It All”. Her singing acting is really moving and you just can’t also ignore the stunning backdrop of the sea during sundown. It’s a winner!!!!

I guarantee that you will leave the cinema smiling or maybe crying. You will have a wide grin coz it’s enchanting to hear ABBA songs in this film. I’m wondering now about the stage musical if it has the same effect to me. But I honestly admit that I really shed tears to Amanda Seyfried’s rendition of Thank You For The Music. You can hear it during the end credits. Her voice is immaculate and and I just wanna thank her for making my night!

photo_36_hires

This film is now one of my favorites. I dig musical films and Mamma Mia did not disappoint me. By the way, I immediately bought the soundtrack!

A must watch for the summer!!!

RATING : 5 / 5 *

No comments: