Wednesday, August 22, 2007

THE COLOR & WEIGHT OF MUSIC



What is the color of music?

What is the weight of music?

The answers are in Hairspray!

I suggest that you should watch this amazing stage play adaptation of the Tony Award-winning 2002 Broadway musical of the same name. This is now included in my list as one the best and most entertaining movie adaptation of a musical. I also love the message of the film. If you enjoyed Chicago & Rent then Hairspray is your next Broadway stop!

Honestly, I wasn’t familiar with the songs from the musicall before watching it here on its first day showing. So I was clueless about Hairspray. The film opened with a beautiful & unforgettable song titled “Good Morning Baltimore”. I instantly love it coz Tracy the pleasantly plump girl is really gorgeous when she is dancing & singing. I almost forgot that she is kinda overweight. Nikki Blonsky is really perfect in her role. I read that she was the lucky winner during the audition. Good for her! She is the main character in the film and she sang most of the songs. She is cute! I just love her rendition of I Can Hear the Bells.

Intermittently, I was hypnotized with the songs and the dance choreography.
Wow! The songs are awesome. Very catchy & makes you wanna dance with them.
They are groovy and tasty.

Watch out for songs like “The Nicest Kids In Town” ,”It Takes Two”, “Ladies’ Choice” & “Without Love” coz Zac Efron from High School Musical is also here as Link. I didn’t even recognize him maybe he is cuter when he is blonde. He is sporting raven hair here. They made him like Elvis Presley. By the way, James Marden you know Cylclops from X-men can really sing and shake his bon-bon too! Watch out ladies!

I was surprised to see an amazing ensemble. John Travolta portrays a mother role and he did it so well. Michelle Pfeiffer was an amazing antagonist as well as a racist. Both starred in Grease 1 & 2 respectively. Greasy huh? Queen Latifa brought the house down too as Motormouth Mabel. Amanda Bynes is such a cutie bitchy teen. Christoper Walken filled some humor too.

I really wish that they will show the sing-along version of this film here coz I heard that in the US they are showing it so that the audience can interact with the film. It will be an amazing experience I guess. Definitely I will watch it again!

It’s palpable that I really love this film. I know you will enjoy this too. By the way, don’t abscond during the end credits coz you’ll hear 3 new songs not featured in the film. I look forward that “Come So Far (Got So far To Go)” will be nominated for Best Original Song in the Golden Globe & Oscar next year and hopefully will win the award. Well, I am optimistic that this film will rake nods from left to right. Let’s see.

Moreover, the art direction and costume design of the 60’s is really believable.

Adam Shankman is the director and also the choreographer and he did awesome just like his previous family flicks like A Walk To Remember & The Pacifier.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Run and tell that HAIRSPRAY is the most magical color of music and you can’t stop the beat!!!!!



WATCH THE TRAILER

No comments: