Tuesday, August 12, 2008

LOQUACIOUS FLOOD

FLOOD

np9ozwjqsyr8jbz3c

I had no idea about this “Flood” when I saw the posters hanging at SM Malls recently. I didn't even plan of watching it coz of my fear. The phobia of flood is still in my mind. I was a survivor of the 1991 Ormoc Flash Flood Tragedy. I was only 12 that year and the devastation is still haunting me. But after living in Metro Manila for 13 years and witnessing flood from time to time even if it only rains for 5 minutes, the fear kinda subsides now. I decided to watch Flood on DVD coz it was already released last October 2007. Why not give it a shot? The trailer looks promising.

I think the film is a rip-off of The Day After Tomorrow and maybe inspired from the Hurricane Katrina Tragedy in the US. A mammoth storm wipes out the Eastern coast of UK and mainland Europe, raising sea levels and cooccurring with the spring tide. London is in grave danger, the government must do something to save millions of lives. That's the plot and it is really boring.

1

The flood in the movie is not that threatening at all. There is no suspense about the catastrophe. There is zilch to panic. The flood scenes are not that grand. The movie is actually loquacious. There is so much talking going on about plans, actions, operations etc... and the hype of the flood is slowly fading. The movie really started with a bang. I thought of a continuous destruction coz of that promising kick off but suddenly numerous characters are sprouting out of nowhere. You won't be attached with them. Their roles are forgettable except for Zak played by Tom Hardy. He is the only good looking supporting actor here.

tomhardy071106_243x359

The 4 main actors are actually good. Robert Carlyle is awesome as the main hero but he's not that hot. British veteran actor Tom Courtenay who plays Carlyle's dad is also effective. Jessalyn Gilsig needs some good project other than this. Her talent is wasted here while Joanne Whalley who is the loquacious character in the movie has some highlights but she looks sick and tired .I think she is forced to star in this so so flick.

flood_xl_01—film-B

I don't get their visual effects. It looks cheap. It's not that astounding. I was really annoyed with their music. The same one-minute score is being played a million times and it just stuck into my head. The production design is OK but it's not that really alarming or disastrous at all.

FloodFilm_450x253

I think Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth is more alarming than this one. I'd rather watch the Navotas and Malabon flood coz it's more horrifying. MMDA should so something about it or is it a hopeless case already? I really thought that my fear of the Ormoc Flood will haunt me again after watching this instead I was irked.

Some scenes are still worthy to watch coz they really tried to match the Hollywood magic but it really fails to spark. I even thought for a minute where's the Queen of England in that time of despair. She is shunned in the story. I even hoped that JK Rowling could save the flood with her Hogwarts' characters.

Save your dough from this “flood”. Donate it to the flood victims in our country.

RATING : 2 / 5

No comments: