Sunday, August 10, 2008

SMART-AMIABLE-STYLISH-SUPERB-YOUTHFUL (SASSY)

MY SASSY GIRL (2008)

onesheet_sassy

When the Tagalized version of the Korean hit "My Sassy Girl" was released here. I did not watch it. Even if there was a strong word of mouth about that film I chose to buy the DVD of the original. The Korean film is extremely cool, fab and truly refreshing. It is included in my list of best rom-coms to date. Then Hollywood just couldn't get enough of it too, they made the remake which is now in my list too.

The Hollywood remake is still a fresh knock-off from the Korean blockbuster. It has the same essence from the original. But there are differences too.

Charlie (Jesse Bradford), a shy and idealistic college student has never been in love. When he rescues the beautiful and elusive Jordan (Elisha Cuthbert) from falling to her death, his life is changed forever. Jordan engages Charlie in an unusual and eccentric courtship. How many tests will Charlie endure to win the heart of this complicated young woman?

jbelishasassyclear

In the Korean film, the two lead characters are not that compatible. Their sassy girl is too comely while the boy is too dorky and not so cutey. Here, Jesse Bradford is really handsome while the new Sassy Girl is too hot and very sexy. Elisha Cuthbert is too fascinating for me. I just love watching her.

26664_511x341

The original is a bit longer and this one just took the necessary elements. If you've seen the Korean film a dozen times, I'm sure that you would feel that they made this one a bit speedy. It's still OK oz this one is not too violent compared to the original.

The shots in the original film are just fine. It is too amateurish I must say but the director of the remake is unbelievably amazing. Yann Samuell totally directed a very cool and a very good picture. From the start of the film, I started to thaw slowly and it did not end til the last reel. He really captured great shots which are so mesmerizing. I love it so much. Great job! For your information, he is the auteur that made Marion Cotillard a rising star. Try to rent the French film "Love Me If You Dare". That film is insanely funny just like this one.

elisha-cuthbert-e-jesse-bradford-in-una-scena-del-film-my-sassy-girl-84844

There are a lot of kilig moments here which can't be seen in the original. In fact, I was giggling all the time. Jesse Bradford is the perfect gentleman. I just want him to have you know a husky voice. His voice is still boyish. Elisha is not a great actress but she's not that horrible too. She is just hunky-dory here. She is sassy enough and still manages to be scorching on the big screen.

SassyElisha

I'm so glad that they released this film here in the Philippines. It's just sad that this film is going straight to DVD in the US. They will release it there on August 26. Come on producers! You made a beautiful picture! You did not murder the original. I love this film so much. This is even great compared to other recent Hollywood rom-coms. This should've been released in the theatres too.

Honestly, I shed some tears here. I did not expect that this film to be so tear jerky at the latter part.Even though I already knew the ending since I knew the whole plot already but still this film made me cry.Why? Maybe because I was overwhelmed with its pulchritude. The whole film is just great. But I do not expect that this will rake awards. This film really completed my year.

Am I recommending this one??? YES ! I believe you will fall in love again. Every rom-com fanatics will treasure this just like me. To the fans of the original film: you won't be disappointed. This will surprise you. Just look at the "art" of the film.

This is truly a sassy film!

RATING : 5 / 5*

No comments: