Saturday, August 16, 2008

SHATTERED SHOCK

SHUTTER (2008)

poster_shutter

When I saw the poster of Shutter at the cinema lobby, I asked myself if I'm goin to watch it coz I was pretty dismayed with the recent Hollywood remake of an Asian horror called “The Eye”. I decided to wait for the DVD of Shutter coz the original Thai film is very scary and I really love it. I was just afraid that time coz this latest remake received mixed reviews. I'm so glad that I have made a good decision. Hollywood remakes are just so dead and shattered.

The script of Shutter is still faithful to the original film with some minor revisions. Ben and Jane are newly-weds then goes off to Japan for their honeymoon. Ben is also there to do some shoots for a company he used to work for. He is a professional photographer. One cold night they accidentally run over a scary lady in the middle of a dark road but they find zilch afterwards. But when Ben's pictures have enigmatic aberrations called spirit photography. The horror begins.

65986E92E3

The original Shutter totally creeps me out. I remember screaming inside the SRO theater. It is a beautiful horror film from Thailand. It's unforgettable and very disturbing at the same time. This new remake never matches the horror of Thai's Shutter. I really prepared to scream here coz after watching the original I did not watch it again coz it's really spooky. I admit there are some good stuff here but it's not that scary anymore. That's the problem of enjoying the original horror, you'll end up so disappointed with the remake if they just copied the same tactics.

photo_01_hires

The chasing scene at the ladder from the original was shunned here. I really anticipated to see it but it's not here. It's the most exhausting scene I've seen in years. I watched the DVD at home together with my siblings who had no idea about the original. Yeah, they were pretty scared but they weren't screaming at all. Joshua Jackson is not really effective. Rachel Taylor for me is just fine. That Japanese actress who plays the ghost is not also scary. The pictures with some suspected spirits are really really spine chilling.

Shutter_080516113810350_wideweb__300x375

Here's the thing: if you haven't seen the original Shutter. You may watch this coz it will scare you. But if you've been haunted with the 2004 Thai film, just forget this one. Well, if you're curious and want to compare, it's up to you. This is just a an incomplete shadow of the first.

RATING : 2 / 5*

No comments: