Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A MAGICAL SCANDAL

THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL

otherboleyngirl_1

When “The Other Boleyn Girl” was released last April. I honestly ignored it even if it is a star-studded costume film. Even if Eric Bana (my Aussie dude) is here , I just shunned the chance. Even if the talented Natalie Portman is also here, I did not try to queue. Even if the former FHM's sexiest Scarlett is also part of the film, I did not dawdle a time for it. That time I was really daunted to watch it cause I was dreading that I won't understand the screenplay thoroughly. Deep British accent is my weakness. I just can't grasp their words so easily. I'm so glad that the DVD is now in the shelves and I've finally met the other Boleyn girl with the help of the correct subtitles. Forgive me coz I'm really weak.

This is a film adaptation of the famous novel by Philippa Gregory of the same title. Unfortunately, I haven't read it so it's a bit exciting watching the film. It tells about the rivalry between the two Boleyn sisters, Anne & Mary. When Anne is chosen by her father to become the mistress of King Henry VIII, in order to gain favor in court, she fails to seduce him instead the King falls for her other sister, Mary. Let's watch the classic girl fight between these two lovely Boleyns. Who will emerge and become the infamous other Boleyn girl?

photo_04_hires

The critics gave this film mixed reviews. According to them, this is more like a soap opera and not a historical epic drama. Yeah, I agree but I don't give a damn! This is an interesting film. From start to finish, there is no moment of ho-hum. The screenplay is well written and it never bores me. The direction is not that magnificent but at least it's promising to me. If you've seen Marie Antoinette and Elizabeth: The Legend, those are just costume dramas. Both are beautiful pictures based on costume designs but they just failed to spark a magic that wows me. They are completely deadening except Blanchet's performance. In this Boleyn film , the costumes are really great and I think they have a chance to grab a nod next year. How about for Best Picture? I won't hope. This film also offers a grandiose cinematography and outstanding production design.

photo_14_hires

Let's talk about the three leads. I think Natalie Portman excels the most here. She is just amazing especially on her last scene. She's truly believable. Meanwhile, Scarlett Johanson's acting is so subdued. The two actresses give a nice performance but their British accent is not that impressive. I don't get it why they put these two Americans to play British roles.

photo_18_hires

Eric Bana is still my man. He never disappoints me in all his films. Surprisingly, my newfound dude, Jim Sturgess has a small but unforgettable role. He plays the younger brother of the Boleyns. In the film's climax, he is part of the most disturbing twist conceived by the other Boleyn girl. When you think about it? Oh God it's the most scariest scene I've seen in a long time. It's really disturbing and it's still haunting me.

photo_09_hires

The Other Boleyn Girl may not be a film for everyone. No “kilig”. No visual effects. No humor. No historical tutelage. It's just a serious costume-drama film. It may not be a romantic epic like Titanic but for me the experience is like magic. This is a just view from an ordinary adventurous movie buff and not from a professional critic.

RATING : 3.5 / 5*

No comments: