Wednesday, December 30, 2009

JISHCAND'S TOP 25 MOVIES OF 2009

2009 was an exciting year for me. I've seen amazing indie films which are critically acclaimed as well.

Some of the popcorn blockbusters also made into my list. Most of the animated films are dominant as well including my Top 1. Some sequels are also here. Don't fret if your “best movie” is not included here. This is only my list anyway.

Here’s my list of the best films that made it into our Philippine theaters or directly released straight to DVD from January 1, 2009 – December 31, 2009 that I've only watched.



25 TAKEN


You gotta see this one. This is purely entertaining. I'm not really into this genre but sometimes if there's a strong word of mouth I can easily be swayed. The premise is fictional but it is an eye-opener. Who knows that the issue is really happening in Europe? “Taken” has changed my life in a moment. Kids, please listen to your parents!!! This movie rocks!!! BIG TIME!

24 BOY


Simply, the best Pinoy gay film of 2009. Visually stunning and wonderfully directed by Aureus Solito.


23 ANTICHRIST


It is one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen. This film will make you cringe. It will make you feel bad terribly. Antichrist is a beautiful film yet misunderstood. Surprisingly, one of the best films this year. Tenebrous but true.


22 STAR TREK


I’m not a fan at all. I’m not also familiar with the characters. I have no clue about being a trekker. Guess what? This movie is truly surprising from the outset and right to the last frameThe reason why you will heart Star Trek is because of its cast ensemble.


21 ANG PANGGAGAHASA KAY FE


This is Irma Adlawan's best performance to date. The film is visually puzzling yet beautiful.


20 THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON


This film may not cater to the ordinary crowd. The script is kinda gibberish sometimes but don't worry coz you can blend with the flow. I think this is Brad Pitt's shining moment. Receiving nominations for his performance here is agreeable. Pitt delivers a marvelous performance. Cate Blanchett is also effulgent.


19 KIMMY DORA


The best Pinoy Comedy of 2009! Phenomenal performance from Eugene Domingo: Ang Dyosa ng Komedya!


18 WANTED: BORDER


Osang's comeback into the limelight. The film is not for everyone but this is one of the best Pinoy films this year.


17 THE ECHO


The Echo is a very good film. It is a stunning horror film. It is a moving drama film. It is a powerful Hollywood remake of a Pinoy film! Yam Laranas' effort works!!! Our very own Iza Calzado who has a minor role in this film proves that she can also be a Hollywood Actress! Great job Iza!!!


16 DRAG ME TO HELL


This horror movie has a never ending terror and shock. Sam Raimi really knows how to scare the audience. As Christine's curse progresses, prepare to cover your mouth coz “YUCKS” will be your favorite word.


15 GRAN TORINO



Gran Torino has a special message to cerebrate. The film has a place in my heart. I will never forget this chef-d'oeuvre (almost) from Clint. By the way, this will be his last film as an actor. A very grand exit actually .Highly recommended. Not just two thumbs up but two armpits up! Bring your hanky.


14 TRANFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN


The movie sucks according to the critics. Yeah, if I am a paid critic I would probably trash this one too. But I am just a movie buff among the ordinary moviegoers. Seriously? I'm really recommending this one. Forget the flaws ( a lot in here LOL ) ! Just let your eyes enjoy the visuals and don't look forward for a wonderfully written award-winning script. Just relax, grab a popcorn and enjoy the show.


13 A CHRISTMAS CAROL



The 3D presentation is simply mind blowing! Jim Carrey has done it again doing multiple roles!


12 THE HANGOVER


Some are saying that this film is slightly misogynist but I think it's not that harsh. Some chicks may still appreciate the jokes. We've seen this type of scenario before about debauchery in Las Vegas or in a road trip but “The Hangover” is simply sensational from the rest. This is the comedy that I've been waiting for. It is egalitarian, it is insipid, it is crackbrained, and it is something your folks totally wouldn't O.K. But it is really humorous and fantastic.


11 MANGATYANAN


The script is awesome. It is visually stunning. The acting from the actors are unforgettable. Beautiful indie film!!!


10 NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH


Nothing But The Truth is a life changing film for me. Writer/Director Rod Laurie does a powerful job depicting a topical thriller. Remember that this is a loquacious film but the words and yakety-yaks are like daggers to my eyes and ears. It keeps me astir. This is Kate Beckinsale's best performance to date.


9 CORALINE


Coraline is NOT actually for the kids. The story is really dark. Some scenes are a little scary for them. this is one of the best films I've seen this year, and without any question one of the best script in years. Coraline is wildly imaginative from start to end.


8 BRUNO


The movie is really sick. You will witness a sadistic sex that I haven't seen yet in my entire life and it's really ghastly but funny at the same time. BrĂ¼no is a humongous success because of Sacha Baron Cohen. Hats off to you man! You are so valiant! From his weird accent to his natural gayness .


7 MULLIGANS



The film is wonderfully directed for me. It's straightforward. I love the script even if it's still raw but I find it sincere. The most surprising thing in Mulligans is the cinematography. There are a lot of beautiful frames right from the outset and to the last scene after the credits( there is a hidden scene) be sure to finish everything. It's inspiring just by looking at those perfectly balanced canvass. I must say that the film has a lot of saccharine scenes to offer. The actors are really good looking and it's unavoidable to root for their cahoots .


6 UP


WARNING: If you are planning to watch this film you better have a hanky in your pocket. The outset of the film is a shocker. Pixar really knows how to surprise their fans. The film's preamble which lasts for 10 minutes is already a complete short film. You will laugh and cry even for that short of time. That's a great accomplishment. But they just won't stop. Pixar always have this incomparable magic when it comes to animation. This time their new project is being presented in 3D.


5 HARRY POTTER & HALF-BLOOD PRINCE



I believe that this film may bore to some purists out there! Shame on you. This is just a film adaptation for Hogwarts' sake! The film may lack some suspense and excitement . Why? It simply because this is the penultimate. They are trying to build up frisson for the Deathly Hallows. Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince is a very good film. I'm really recommending it. The magic is still alive.


4 THE HURT LOCKER



The Hurt Locker is a sure shot for Best Picture next year in the Oscars. This is the first astonishing film this year that I've watched and I want to give them the top honors already. I seldom like war movies but this one bombs my heart. This film changes everything! I just can't stop praising it coz I really want you to watch it now!!!! This best picture rocks!!!!!


3 YANGGAW


The Best Pinoy Horror Film so far!!! This film still makes me cry. One of the scariest in years! One of the best in years!!!! Phenomenal film!!!!

2 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE


Superb is the best way to describe the experience after watching the film. I was blown away with the direction and all the technical aspects. Of course, it raked most of the awards in the Oscars including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Cinematography, Best Original Score and Best Original Song. I couldn't disagree. A well-deserved win! Congratulations Danny Boyle!This one takes the cake! The critics are really right. The moviegoers who made this movie a phenomenon are truly hypnotized. Slumdog Millionaire is one of the BEST FILMS of all times.




AND THE #1 MOVIE OF 2009

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com


AVATAR is the Best Picture of 2009. James Cameron is really the King of The World. And he is back in the game! Can't wait for the Oscar Awards!!!



I hope you like my Top 25. If you want to know why I love these films, just click the movie title to read the full review. Thanks for reading my blog and hope to see you next year. 2010 is a promising year I guess!!!

No comments: