Friday, January 4, 2008

"ONCE" IS THE BEST MOVIE OF 2007 FOR JISHCAND

ONCE

Photobucket


Have you ever experienced watching a musical film that lets you soar high above?
It’s like you’re “so in love” just by listening to the songs.
I had that tingling sensation when I watched Moulin Rouge the first time. Recently, it happened again with “Once”. Ever heard of the film? Let me serenade you.

Photobucket


“Once” is an Irish musical film written & directed by John Carney, a former bassist of the band The Frames . Don’t expect ala-Chicago or ala-Dreamgirls here. This is totally different. The films tell about an unnamed guy who sings and plays his guitar on a street in Dublin and meets an unnamed girl who loves his music. And so the love story goes….or let me say the musical journey begins!

Photobucket


Actually, the songs are the amorous elements of this so called “uncertain love” in the film.

I didn’t know the songs here before I watched this film. I’ve never heard of the actors’ name too. The two leads are Glen Hansard (also from The Frames) & Markéta Irglová. Neither of the 2 leads is a trained or experienced actor but they are both professional musicians. In Chicago & Moulin Rouge, they have real actors who can half sing but in “Once” they have real musicians who can half act. Isn’t it amazing?
It’s marvelous actually!

I couldn’t help myself while I was watching this. I was thawing slowly. The songs are emotional and electrifying. Yeah, they used EMO MUSIC here. So perfect for the troubled hearts you know!

Photobucket


I want you to watch out on their first duet of an impromptu song they performed in a music store. The song is “Falling Slowly”. My initial reaction: F**K, THAT ‘S MY SONG! That scene has a kindling and romantic connection between the two. It’s intriguing on the next scenes.

WATCH THE MUSIC CLIP OF FALLING SLOWLY

Then, try to scrutinize the lyrics of the song that the girl wrote. The song was composed without words and he asked her to put some lyrics on it. The result was softly gorgeous!
She entitled it as “If You Want Me”.

WATCH THE MUSIC CLIP OF IF YOU WANT ME

The last song that put me in the cage of crying guitars was “When Your Mind’s Made Up”. It was the first song they recorded in a studio for their demo. It’s a deep and melancholic rock ballad.


WATCH THE MUSIC CLIP OF WHEN YOUR MIND'S MADE UP

Photobucket

This film has achieved major acclaim receiving the World Cinema Audience for a dramatic film at 2007 Sundance Filmfest.
I would like share some comments from the critics that I read.
According to Richard Roeper and Michael Philips, “Once is the most charming thing I’ve seen all year!” In its own way, it will blow you way.
Acclaimed director Steven Spielberg was quoted as saying” A little movie called “Once” gave me enough inspiration to last the rest of the year.”
Associated Press Film critic David German named the film the 2nd Best Film of 2007.
Jishcand also named this film as the Best Film of 2007 for him!


Photobucket

By the way, the OST has been nominated in the Grammys for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album and “Falling Away” for Best Song Written for Motion Picture.
Wow!

Did you know that Hansard & Irglova became a couple in real life, either during filming or later while on a promotional tour? Kilig ako when I read that info about them!

The production budget of “Once” was only $160,000.
As of Dec 2007, the film had grossed more than $14M worldwide.
Di pa kasama Philippines box office niyan! He he he!
The DVD is already out.
Try this film it will really blow you away!

Photobucket

WARNING: This is an independent film. The film is kinda documentary-musical-romance-drama. This is not a popcorn flick!. Some of my friends who are into commercial big budgeted movies were bored to death when I let them watch this film. Sad to say you know.

“ONCE” IS THE BEST MUSICAL FILM I’VE EVER SEEN SINCE “MOULIN ROUGE”!


WATCH THE TRAILER

RATING : 5 / 5 *

No comments: