Wednesday, January 30, 2008

MONSTERRIFIC CINEMA EXPERIENCE

CLOVERFIELD









Wow!!! As in wow a million times!!!!

I was intrigued when I first saw the trailer of this untitled JJ Abrams project last year.
When it opened at #1 in the US recently with a massive debut, I just couldn't wait to watch this film.
I always see the huge billboard of Cloverfield near the Boni-MRT Station coz I work near that place.
I don't know if you also notice that there is a hidden image in the poster. It's quite creepy honestly. The monster is facing the headless Statue of Liberty like it's “ready to attack” gesture .Well, it's a clandestine effect they made with the clouds. Look closer to the clouds coz the monster is there!!!


CLICK HERE TO SEE THE MONSTER


Let's talk about the movie! I must say that this is a good experiment from JJ. I love this film!
I already heard some buzz that this film will make you dizzy. I really prepared myself. Nope I didn't drink an anti-dizzy tablet instead I just expect the anticipated shaky camera work

Photobucket



The experience is amazing. I was thrilled when the head of Liberty was thrown to the streets of Manhattan. This is it!!! The kick off of an intense and engaging monsteriffic ride!

Photobucket


Is there a story here? I think so and it's a love story too. The monster is just an extra but it plays a huge part. I was deeply attached with the main characters. I see myself in Rob (Michael Stahl-David). Naks!!!! Well, he is really good-lookin' and a natural actor. Beth (Odette Yustman) is simply pretty and hot. I love watching them. The reason why I like them is that they are not familiar actors and you get this feeling that “ hey this is happening...it's F***** real!” effect. It's like a documentary actually just like The Blair Witch Project”. Oh yeah, the only difference is that we saw the live monster here and we didn't see the witch in Blair. Cloverfield is like watching Godzilla and the 9/11 WTC attack and of course Blair Witch style altogether.


Photobucket



I don't know if I'm goin to laugh at people's reaction about this film. I'll share some comments from lovebirds sitting behind me : Ano ba yan? Nahihilo na ako” said the girl after 20 minutes in the cinema. That time I was still hunky-dory in the front row. Yeah, I love watching in the front row with popcorn!
So I think it's advisable not to sit in near the screen if you're nauseating. You know what they left the cinema in the middle. Too bad. When the end credits started rolling, I went to the john immediately to drain my pipe, I was shocked to hear that even men were affected too. I heard a teenager talking to his friend” P**** i** pare sumakit ulo ko doon! Oo nga parang rollercoaster!, the other one replied. These reactions from them are just amazing. It means that Cloverfield is a phenomenon for me.

Photobucket



SPOILERS Below:

Photobucket



I love the Brooklyn Bridge attack coz it's so intense. The subway tunnel scene with the small monsters is really frightening. The Time Warner Center apartment scene is just horrific. The Central Park scenes at the end are just gripping and engaging. I was screaming silently to be honest.. Of course kudos the people who created this monster.

Wanna see the monster? click here!

Photobucket


The only weakness in the film is that they didn't elaborate the origin of the monster that much. Actually, there are clues in the script. Just listen carefully especially at the end of the credits coz you'll hear a “cry for help” from one major character. Hint: prequel or sequel? After the explosion in the bridge at Central Park, the final scene returned to a footage in Coney Island around April. The attack happened on May 22-23.In that scene you will see an object falling from the sky into the ocean. So I think the monster is an alien. Well, let's just wait for the prequel or the sequel for the added explanation.
Watching this film twice made me see and hear the clues. Just don't close your eyes and open your ears all the time.

Photobucket


Highly recommended to all amusement ride fanatics.
Don't tell me I didn't warn you about the Cloverfield side-effects!
Good luck!
RATING: 5 / 5 *

No comments: