Tuesday, January 22, 2008

MOURNFUL ROMANCE

ATONEMENT






This film is just so heartbreaking!
What a way to start my review right?

I didn't cry after watching Atonement but keeping the pain in my heart is more worst.
This is gotta be the most melancholic love story that I've ever seen recently.
The ending really ripped my heart.

Photobucket

Atonement is an adaptation from a novel by Ian McEwan. The story begins at an English manor house in 1935, when young Briony Tallis (Saoirse Ronan) witnesses two sexually charged confrontations between her big sister Cecilia and the housekeeper's son, Robbie (James McAvoy), that she doesn't fully understand. Then hours later a young houseguest named Lola is sexually assaulted and Briony's imagination leads her to make an accusation that she will spend the rest of her life regretting.
That's just the teaser of the story.

Photobucket

The Oscar nominations were announced already and I wasn't surprised that this film was nominated for Best Picture. Truly deserving! I haven't seen the other contenders so I can't tell if Atonement is the front runner. I was just disappointed coz Director Joe Wright was snubbed. He is amazing in Pride & Prejudice and this time he's astonishing.

Photobucket


Acting wise? Yeah, Keira is good but I don't find her performance so remarkable but she's so pulchritudinous. James McAvoy is bloody impressive. Wow, he can really act especially on that scene where he confronts Briony at the end. Sad to say he was snubbed too. They have a sweet chemistry by the way. This newcomer who plays Briony is a surprise nominee. She just came out of nowhere and wallah “Saoirse Ronan” is nominated for Best Supporting Actress.
I agree with them coz Saoirse's performance is so innocently terrific and you will really hate her in the film.

Photobucket

I fell in love with the cinematography. Every frame of the film is beautifully shot. The manor scenes are stunning. The beach scene after the war in Dunkirk is just so wonderful. I love how the camera moves there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another nomination from the film worth mentioning is the original score from Dario Marianelli.It's impressive and the music is way too nostalgic. I love that part when the music blends with Briony's typewriter. There's an enigmatic feel when you hear them at the same time.

Anyway, this is not a perfect film for a Valentine date. This is an art film not a chick flick. This is just so tragic for two lovebirds who seek romance inside the cinema. But if you two are open minded I think you will appreciate the sadness.

Photobucket

I highly recommend this film especially if you are an adventurous Oscar watcher.
Good luck Atonement!



RATING: 4.5 /5 *

No comments: