Tuesday, January 8, 2008

THE VERISIMILITUDE OF SECRETS

NATIONAL TREASURE : BOOK OF SECRETS

Photobucket

Finally the MMFF is over and the amazing treasure hunters lead by Benjamin Gates are back on their second adventure. Philippines here they come!!!!

Photobucket

It was in 2004 when the first National Treasure was discovered. Some critics must be kidding that time coz they really shunned the film. However, it was the moviegoers who decided coz they dug the first one. It earned an impressive $347.5 million worldwide.
Last December the sequel was released simultaneously everywhere in the globe except in the Philippines & the UK. As expected the critics despised it again! I’m sorry nosy movie critics coz the moviegoers didn’t listen to your disgruntled articles and instead they queued to the theatres again and made this film #1 for 3 consecutive weeks! Walt Disney hit it again!!!!

Photobucket

Honestly, I was really lookin’ forward on this sequel. I was disappointed last year when I found out that it will be released after the MMFF. Mr. Fernando will lock this amazing treasure in his MMDA chest for two weeks. I was displeased you know.

Anyway, the treasure has arrived on our shores and I followed Ben’s adventures again.

Photobucket


This is much better than the original one. I really enjoyed their first deciphering in 2004 and I’m not embarrassed to say that I truly love this new film from Jon Turteltaub and Jerry Bruckheimer. Forget what the critics are saying. This is a fun movie.



Photobucket

Yeah, I know the screenplay is cheesy but to come up nifty clues and meanings for the treasure? It’s awesome! What’s beguiling this time is that clues have traveled from one continent to another. It is good to see some historic landmarks like The Library of Congress, White House, Buckingham Palace, Mount Vernon, Mount Rushmore and the Statue of Liberty. They have some trivia about the famous statue in NY and I was surprised coz I didn’t know it. It’s good to hear some history lessons and trivia in this film.

Photobucket

The actors are just having fun! I really like them. Nicolas is still witty. Diane Kruger looks older but she’s still pretty. Imagine fresh from her Oscar winning performance in The Queen! Helen Mirren is here? Yeah, and I love her this time! She’s fabulous in the last remaining scenes. Welcome to the world of Visual Effects Queen Mirren!
Actually 3 Oscar winners are here that include Nicolas Cage & Jon Voight..
Cool huh?

Photobucket

Last year we saw the film adaptation of The Da Vinci Code. There were mixed reviews about it. Anyway, “National Treasure :Book of Secrets” promises fun and non-stop exhilaration that we missed in TDVC. I love the car chase scene in London. It’s gripping all the way. The Mount Rushmore scenes are explosively bodacious. Watch out for it!


Honestly, when you think about it. Their tactics on finding the clues are really far-fetched to do. But this is Hollywood! “Impossible” is nowhere listed in their dictionaries. So I forgive them coz somehow it’s still amusing to see their haywire antics. Thanks to Justin Bartha as Riley for his side-splitting performance. He is hilarious and really cute to ogle.

Justin Bartha


I really smell a sequel. I hope that some clues of the third National Treasure are hidden somewhere in the Philippines. Wishful thinking?! I’m still crossing my fingers. Britney Spears wants to sneak away in the Philippines you know so maybe something is hidden here. Hmmm……you want a piece of the treasure?
Watch this!

WATCH THE TRAILER

RATING : 4.5 / 5 *

No comments: