Tuesday, January 1, 2008

FLAMBOYANT ,FABULOUS & FASHIONABLE

DESPERADAS





After watching 5 films so far in this festival, I finally have my BEST PICTURE.
Desperadas is my choice to win but it’s not goin’ to happen coz the criteria is unfair.
I think 50% goes to the gross receipts. The other 6 films opened last Christmas but Desperadas was just released this New Year’s day. I’m really desperate right now. God, I love this film! Desperadas is the perfect film for me to start the year.


First, I have to praise the casting director. Great cast!
The four main actresses are totally perfect in their respective roles.
Ruffa Gutierrez made a right choice for her come back film. This is her film. She fits the character of the fashionable socialite Isabella.
Rufa Mae Quinto is highly amusing and oozing. No one can deny her bombshell personality. She’s the hilarious Patricia.
Iza Calzado is the lady worth fighting for. Her character is the typical Filipina we want. She’s the conservative Stephanie.
Marian Rivera is simply invigorating. She’s fabulous as Marimar but wait til you see her as Courtney in this film. Guys, I’m warning you. Prepare your money coz she’ll be your next bet for FHM Sexiest Woman this year.



The story is about four beautiful and sexy half-sisters with different quirks and concerns on family and relationship.
According to the poster: ALL THEY NEED IS LOVE.


I know that some people are thinking that this is a rip off of the “Desperate Housewives” and “Sex & The City”. Yeah, they got the idea but this is totally different. It’s not a knock off. Don’t worry. The characters are refreshing and really reflect the reality about the Filipinas in this new generation.

Kudos to the writer Mr. Roy Iglesias. I really enjoyed the screenplay.
Non stop guffaw! I really loved the quotes of Patricia. Watch out for them especially when the maid is confabulating with her. The scenes are amazing. The audience in the cinema was really goin’ berserk coz they were really side-splitting.


Who’s the best actress of the fab four?
I can’t tell.
Ruffa is fashionably awesome. Watching her is like she’s in a catwalk. It’s like watching “The Devil Wears Prada” coz her costumes are astonishing.
Ruffa Mae as I said “rocks the house”. Her performance is not for awards consideration but for the moviegoers she’s the front runner.
Iza is really versatile. Her role is not just ample for the trophy honors but who knows?
Marian. Oh my dear Marian. I love this girl! She’s promising and if she will be nominated for Best Supporting Actress in this festival she might have a chance.
I’m desperately crossing my fingers. She’s the perfect “babaeng bakla”. Sorry for the term but that’s her role.


I am so glad coz the product placements are not that voracious.
They were done in a subtle and arty way.

Photobucket

This newcomer Will Devaughn is really sexy and exhilarating.
He’s a good catch! Watch out ladies & not so guys.. ehem!

Photobucket



By the way, I was shocked to see the direction of Joel Lamangan this time.

I think he put his heart in this film. I think he really dreamed about this film.
See it coz the classic Lamangan is back. I hate him in Bahay Kubo but he really changed his style in Desperadas.




I love this film. I’m definitely watching this again!

RATING : 4.5 / 5 *

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Desperadas... best picture?! Seriously? That's just wrong. You should watch Katas ng Saudi. It makes your choice look like fluff. Give it a chance.

Anonymous said...

i loved desperadas....it funny and the four actresses are realy gorgeous and their outfits are stunning...........from the 4 films i saw desperadas is also my best picture...it is well made , excellent cinematography.....katas ng saudi is so old.........why does an over acted tear jerker always win? cant u see the good in a well made romantic comedy like desperaradas? its about time