Thursday, January 17, 2008

DEMONIC, GOTHIC & BURTONIC

SWEENEY TODD:
THE DEMON BARBER AT FLEET STREET


Photobucket

Photobucket

Bloody Burton!

Oh my God this is Tim Burton’s best so far. He’s really amazing when it comes to musical films.I love his “Charlie & the Chocolate Factory” and “The Corpse Bride” but this one really shocked me to death! I think I sound so ecstatic here.

Photobucket



This film is rated R-18 and was approved without cuts. I prepared myself coz when I read the MTRCB Permit I learned that this is a bloody, gory, too graphic but very artistic film.
Of course if it’s from Tim Burton, it must have an outlandish imagination.

Photobucket

The moment I heard the first line of the song here, oh this an opera! I’m not really into this genre coz the songs are not that catchy. But I didn’t anticipate hearing pop songs from Hairspray, R&B from Dreamgirls, Broadway songs from Chicago, Country from Walk The Line or Jukebox from Moulin Rouge. Nevertheless, the gothic feel of the songs can still tingle. I admit some songs are soporific but they were justified coz the music is just blending with the murky scenes. Stephen Sondheim music is definitely an Oscar material. I am just surprised coz Danny Elfman is absent this time. He scored the music on almost Burton’s films and it amazed me a little not to see his name during the opening credits.


Photobucket


Let’s talk about the controversial graphic scenes. Honestly, I cringed on the first burst of the blood. Oh my God the execution is so good! It’s like Kill Bill but this one is much better. I’m warning you that the cringing won’t stop there coz there are still bloody scenes to endure. Every time Sweeney Todd gloriously flickers his blade I make sure that I am covering my mouth. I wanted to scream !!!!!!!!Actually, my heart was silently crying. Sweeney’s character is really demonic. All he wants is a sweet & gorgeous revenge and he wants it as gory as possible.Oh God! Don’t eat while watching this film. The ultimate revelation at the concluding part makes me wanna puke. I think I won’t eat for 1 day or maybe a week but I will die right? He he he.. If you’re too squeamish?
Be brave coz you’ll retch probably.



Photobucket
Photobucket

I agree that Johnny Depp deserves to win an Oscar here. He already won a Golden Globe by the way. Helena Bonham Carter is great too. It’s startling to see them singing. They’re not singers but their voices are good. Thanks to the technology. Actually I was happy to see other Harry Potter actors here. Other than Helena as Bellatrix in Order of the Phoenix, we also have Professor Snape ( Alan Rickman) and Peter Pettigrew ( Timothy Spall). I think Mr. Spall is a remarkable character actor. Most of all thanks to Borat! Sacha Baron Cohen’s small part is still side-splitting. I think his “Borat” is really palpable here.

Photobucket


Aside from the marvelous music, I think the production design is wickedly great. It’s precise. Also, Colleen Atwood’s costume design will give her honor again. I really love her designs in Chicago & Memoirs of a Geisha. Lastly, I truly love the “Make Up”. Hands down to the make up department! They are bloody first-rate!
Photobucket




I hope you’ll catch this one. Please experience Sweeney Todd’s blade before the conservative codgers file a complaint coz this film is too demonic and graphic for them.
I hope they won’t grumble coz if they will gripe I am pretty sure Mr. T. will slit their throats.

Sweeney Todd is my first Best Film this year.
Hats off to Mr. Tim Burton!

Photobucket

RATING: 5/5 *

No comments: