Tuesday, January 15, 2008

CATCH THEM IF YOU CAN!

AMERICAN GANGSTER


front


Have you seen Catch Me If You Can? The film that stars Leo DiCaprio & Tom Hanks and was directed by Steven Spielberg? Did you like it? You know what? That film is included in my All Time Best Pictures. Why I am telling you this? Coz I think there is a similarity between American Gangster & that chasing film. They are both based from a true story and they are both award grabbing films.

American Gangster is based on the life of drug-kingpin-turned-informant, Frank Lucas played by Oscar Winner Denzel Washington who grew up in North Carolina where he watched as his cousin was shot by the Klan for looking at a white girl. He in the end made his way to Harlem where he became a heroin kingpin by traveling to Asia's Golden Triangle to make connections, shipping heroin back to the US in the coffins of soldiers killed in Vietnam. He soon made upwards of one million dollars a day in drug sales. Lucas was keenly followed by Richie Roberts, a prosecutor. played also by an Oscar Winner Russell Crowe, who finally helped bring the kingpin to justice.

gangster2

In Catch Me If You Can, Tom Hanks was chasing Leo for his fake cheques
Here, Russell Crowe was not chasing but he was making plans how to bust Frank Lucas’ heroin operation.

gangster4


When the two worked together to expose the crooked cops and foreign nationals who made importing heroin so easy that’s when I realized that this is similar to Spielberg’s film.

denzel_washington7

In American Gangster I was querulous about the Harlem accent. I couldn’t possibly understand their dialogues. It’s fast like they were rapping. Denzel was good at that. I wasn’t surprised coz he is a good actor. Then there’s Russell Crowe who was has a thick Australian accent in the movie. Cmon guys my ears are bleeding just by listening to their confabulations coz I really want to scrutinize the details of the screenplay. I wish there was a subtitle on the big screen.
Even though it’s kinda gibberish for me I still got the whole point of the story.

gangster6


Ridley Scott directed this film that talks about drugs, crime & sex.WARNING: Some scenes are really violent and so graphic. His direction is still astonishing and it makes me dizzy sometimes coz of the crazy camera movements. I couldn’t forget his work on Black Hawk Down. I really drank an Ibuprofen pill after watching that film. My head really ached. Don’t worry his hands are not too groggy this time.

The movie is kinda mind-numbing at the beginning til the first half. It’s a long movie too. Please wait for the climax it’s really worth your time. Denzel & Russell are amazing but it was Denzel who shows sure shot to grab some awards nominations.

gangster7


This is a perfect crime drama picture to watch before the Oscars.
I’m only recommending this if you’re following the awarding drift.
This is not a popcorn flick.

By the way,Thanks to UIP for the Sneak Previews coz I’ve been waiting for this film since last year.


RATING: 4 / 5 *

No comments: